ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Should I buy a tablet pc, ipad, netbook, or other?

<< < (2/34) > >>

phitsc:
Here's a list of iPad alternatives. No release dates though. I've read end of year for the MSI and first quarter 2010 for the Asus, but no confirmed dates yet.

Is Android better for tablets than Windows 7. To be honest, I have no idea. I'll read reviews about these devices before deciding for one anyway.

superboyac:
OK, now I'm sort of leaning towards a new laptop...11-13" range.  i don't know.  I do kind of want a tablet.  Something I can carry around with me to do light computing.  I already have a laptop and it's not easy to use for light computing.  If you want to just browse the web for 5 minutes, you hesitate to open the laptop, boot it, etc.  With a tablet, you'd just quickly do your thing and that's it.

I'm also hearing that Android tablets may not be as smooth as the ipad, as far as UI, because the Android is not officially a tablet OS.  It can be "hacked" to be used as one, but it's not designed for that.  Is that any cause for concern?  Should I just get an ipad?

phitsc:
I'm also hearing that Android tablets may not be as smooth as the ipad, as far as UI, because the Android is not officially a tablet OS.  It can be "hacked" to be used as one, but it's not designed for that.  Is that any cause for concern?  Should I just get an ipad?
-superboyac (August 05, 2010, 09:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

It might be one of the reasons why there are no Android-based tablets yet. I've read that Android 3, planned to be released end-of-year-ish, should be targeted at higher end portable devices (i.e. tablets).

Stoic Joker:
If you want to just browse the web for 5 minutes, you hesitate to open the laptop, boot it, etc.  With a tablet, you'd just quickly do your thing and that's it.-superboyac (August 05, 2010, 09:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

So you're saying that the tablets have the boot time of a light bulb?? <- Seriously, I'm curious/don't recall hearing that angle before)

While I currently don't have a budget, as it's pointless to create a plan to spend nothing... If forced to pick at this point, I'd go for one of the netbooks as a best of both worlds option. Mainly because you can just fold it shut (so the screen is protected), toss it where ever and go. Thre is no need to futz with some manner of bag/case/cover to prevent the ($$$) screen from being destroyed.

wraith808:
OK, now I'm sort of leaning towards a new laptop...11-13" range.  i don't know.  I do kind of want a tablet.  Something I can carry around with me to do light computing.  I already have a laptop and it's not easy to use for light computing.  If you want to just browse the web for 5 minutes, you hesitate to open the laptop, boot it, etc.  With a tablet, you'd just quickly do your thing and that's it.
-superboyac (August 05, 2010, 09:34 AM)
--- End quote ---
This is why I was looking at the tablet, and finally purchased one.  I got a netbook for this purpose, but the form factor kept it from being used in this way.  The tablet form factor just lends itself to writing and reading, IMO.  That's also what I like about the tc1100- the keyboard is *really* thin, and swings out of the way (or removes) very quickly, but it's there if you need it.

I took some pictures this morning for my upcoming blog posts- I'll post a few here for a preview :)

If you want to just browse the web for 5 minutes, you hesitate to open the laptop, boot it, etc.  With a tablet, you'd just quickly do your thing and that's it.-superboyac (August 05, 2010, 09:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

So you're saying that the tablets have the boot time of a light bulb?? <- Seriously, I'm curious/don't recall hearing that angle before)
-Stoic Joker (August 05, 2010, 10:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

iPads do.  And tablet pcs from standby aren't much behind that if you limit what starts up and optimize it for this use.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version