ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

General brainstorming for Note-taking software

<< < (124/192) > >>

muntealb:
One of the biggest problems with this kind of software is the lack of Unicode support. Only NoteCase, EverNote, myBase, CyberArticle and IdeaMason support Unicode right now.

Another problem is the absence of the possibility to translate the software. Only NoteCase, TreeDBNotes, AM-Notebook and SQLNotes can be translated at this time.

I think the authors should take into account also these two aspects so their software could be used by a larger group of people, not only by those that know english and write only in Windows-1252 encoding (or other encoding for latin west-european characters).

PPLandry:
One of the biggest problems with this kind of software is the lack of Unicode support. Only NoteCase, EverNote, myBase, CyberArticle and IdeaMason support Unicode right now.
-muntealb (September 21, 2007, 03:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

SQLNotes currently supports Unicode in the rich text pane (aka second pane which acts like a HTML word processor/browser). Unicode support in the outliner/grid is also available on demand, and will be available to the general public in a few weeks.

muntealb:
Pierre, I have installed SQLNotes beta01 and in my opnion it does not support Unicode in the panel you just mentioned. For me there is a simple way to test that. Romanian has two characters that are correctly displayed only with Unicode. These are U0218 (S with comma below) and U021A (T with comma below), both being part of the Unicode Latin Extended-B subset. I use Vista with the romanian locale set (keyboard mapping) and these two characters are displayed correctly in Notepad, EditPad, EverNote, NoteCase but in SQLNotes (rich text pane) they are replaced with question marks, so this is the sign for me that Unicode is not supported at this time. I will download the next version when it will become available and tell you on the forum if the things have changed from my point of view.

I asked the author of AM-Notebook about the Unicode support and he told me that some controls used in his software do not support Unicode so he cannot do anything about that. But the problem exists also for the text editors, at this time I think that only EditPad, EmEditor, PSPad, Notepad++ support Unicode.

PPLandry:
Romanian has two characters that are correctly displayed only with Unicode. These are U0218 (S with comma below) and U021A (T with comma below), both being part of the Unicode Latin Extended-B subset.
--- End quote ---

I can't find the Latin Extended-B subset. Can you direct me?

Otherwise, I can insert any character (using Character Map), be it ansi, arabic, Cyrillic, Armenian, Hebrew, Arabic in the HTML Editing pane (Press F12 to display it if it isn't). You must first select your font, using the font menu ( I used Arial Unicode MS) . So I believe (with the little knowledge I have of Unicode), that it is working fine.

muntealb:
Yes, I can insert all the romanian characters in SQLNotes by using the Character Map. However, I cannot write them using the keyboard. I use Arial as the font and even if I change it to something else SQLNotes does not display some romanian characters correctly (three of the five that have diacritics). In Notepad, EditPad, NoteCase, etc. all the romanian fonts are displayed correctly.

You can view the Latin Extended-B subset at :

http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/Unicode-3.2/U32-0180.pdf

The fonts that cannot be written in SQLNotes are (with the Unicode code) :

Latin capital letter A with breve : 0102 => Ă

Latin capital letter S with comma below : 0218 => Ș

Latin capital letter T with comma below : 021A => Ț

I hope you can also see them written by me after the => sign.

P.S. I will continue this discussion on the SQLNotes Forum, if you want. I have opened a new thread at :
http://www.sqlnotes.net/Forums/tabid/54/mid/370/threadid/1800/scope/posts/Default.aspx

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version