ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

General brainstorming for Note-taking software

<< < (115/192) > >>

Armando:
Folks might be interested in taking a look at that site, http://www.outlinersoftware.com. It's a discussion forum for people "interested in outlining, PIM, and knowledge management software."
-twinkler (July 15, 2007, 04:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm sure folks over there would be very happy to see you all!

"Outlinersoftware.com" was originally "outliners.com/discuss," a forum set up by Dave Winer in the 90s to exchange views about outliners (mainly single-pane ones). Nowadays, as well as outlining, it touches on other aspects of researching and writing as well - web clipping, pims, note-taking, editing, word-processing, etc. It has a big searchable archive going back many years. The move to a new server somewhat disrupted the little community, but it is recovering well.

DBC
-DBC (July 27, 2007, 10:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've read lots of stuff there and really enjoyed the info!
Some developers post there too (Ultra Recall developper, if I remember well?), which adds some spices to the sauce.  :Thmbsup:

iphigenie:
I'm starting to like evernote

In a way it is a path i am on which relies less on my having to impose structure, and more on tag and search.
I went from a traditional folder based mail software to using opera m2 (private) and Outlook with everything in the same folder and use of tagging / filtering / searching to create a virtual organisation
I went from organising my images in topical folders to storing them by year/month/day and using tagging and metadata
And now I might go from using an outliner type product to one where the structure is all tags

seems to all fit

rjbull:
Interesting thread here:  Storing Nuggets of Information
both paper and computer methods

superboyac:
Well, I finally got a chance to beta test the new 32-bit version of Zoot.  Not much has changed besides the behind-the-scenes conversion from 16-bit to 32-bit.  This is going to be the standard bearer for notetaking in my opinion, I'm glad it's finally being resurrected.

I know my notes have become too unwieldy to maintain in a tree hierarchy, so some other form of organization will have to replace it.  Zoot's organization features are so powerful, no other program offers it.  It's automatic rules, filtering, categorizing, etc is really great (I would liken it to a really powerful email filtering system).  Evernote is doing a decent job in this area, but once Zoot is finished in the 32-bit version, Evernote will just be eye-candy.

tomos:
I'm starting to like evernote

In a way it is a path i am on which relies less on my having to impose structure, and more on tag and search.-iphigenie (July 28, 2007, 10:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm finally getting into using evernote properly, I like it a lot too but find the lack of shortcuts WRT categories a bit of a pain - maybe it's especially at the beginning when you need to continually set up new categories & maybe modify keywords for older ones etc. and it's all mouse clicking...
BTW - do you know:
is there a way to get it to ignore a keyword if it is only part of another word - eg keyword monitor brings up monitoring which i dont want ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version