ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

General brainstorming for Note-taking software

<< < (110/192) > >>

Darwin:
I *try* to read them off the screen and am getting better at it, but somehow having a paper copy that I can write comments on just feels "right"  ;D

PS this means that I've probably printed out 75% of my pdf collection. What I like about the electronic copies is that when I travel I have a reasonable library at my disposal without having to cart paper copies around and without it be essential that I connect to the web. Right, off to vote in your poll.

Nod5:
I also print around 50%. I'm slowly getting better at reading only on the screen though.

Armando,
I disliked the fact that every single file was doubled :  always had to make sure that I moved both files when I had to move them around, had to check both files when I renamed them, etc. ... Maybe there could be  a way of doing it in a way that’s much more simple and automated.
--- End quote ---
I try to never rename the pdf files, keep them all in one giant folder and never move that folder. Then the problem doesn't occur very often.
But in a scenario where file renaming is often necessary, scripting could help. I made a AHK script you could try. Use it like this:
1. have script running
2. manually rename filename.pdf to newfilename.pdf in explorer
3. while newfilename.pdf is selected, press script hotkey (shift+§ ; but change that to something that fits your keyboard well)
4. select filename.txt (the tagfile) in explorer
5. press hotkey again within 4 seconds
---> script autorenames filename.txt to newfilename.txt

--- ---#Persistent
+§::
IfWinNotActive, ahk_class CabinetWClass     ; only run when Explorer is active
 IfWinNotActive, ahk_class ExploreWClass
  return

xnow = %A_now%
xnow -= xtime
if xnow < 5                   ; check 4 second limit
{
SplitPath, xnew,,,, xnew_noext
sendinput {F2}
sendinput %xnew_noext%.txt
sendinput {Enter}
xnew =
xtime =
goto RemoveTrayTip
}
else
{
sendinput {F2}
sendinput ^c
sendinput {Enter}
xnew = %clipboard%
xtime = %A_now%
TrayTip,, filename ready
SetTimer, RemoveTrayTip, 4000
}
return

RemoveTrayTip:
SetTimer, RemoveTrayTip, Off
TrayTip
return

Armando:
But in a scenario where file renaming is often necessary, scripting could help. I made a AHK script you could try. Use it
-Nod5 (June 13, 2007, 06:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

Really nice Nod5. Thanks a lot for sharing that.
I'll try it.

@urlwolf  :

well, I almost never print anything except for editing, and sending papers and articles. So I'd say 99% of my pdfs or docs are never printed. In my case it would be a bit of a waste of paper, ink and time : I like having all my reading notes in one place, where they're easy to find : my hard drive. Taking notes on a computer, directly in  pdfs or word docs (or OOo, etc.) is extremely handy and efficient. With the advancement of desktop search tools, it's the way to go... I find.

Edit : wow, this thread is really getting wild.

Darwin:
Armando is where I hope to get myself - weaned off paper and ink. That's the goal, anyway, and I hope to make it a reality. I must confess to finding it difficult to read anything on the computer, to the point that editing my own writing usually requires me to print it out at some point, even if I am going to submit it electronically.

Armando:
I like having all my reading notes in one place, where they're easy to find : my hard drive.-Armando (June 13, 2007, 08:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

Off course, that also means having a backup solution you can trust... I trust mine, but as my 500gb hard drive gets fuller...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version