ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

General brainstorming for Note-taking software

<< < (109/192) > >>

superboyac:
I like locate also.  And for searching inside documents, archivarius.  Combine that with a good web capturing and notetaking tool like Evernote, or surfulater, or something else, and you have a pretty good overall system.

By the way, rumor has it that Zoot has a beta coming out that will be 32-bit.  I don't know about you guys, but I've been eagerly  waiting for Zoot to enter the modern era of notetaking.  Zoot is a very, very nice (I can't emphasize that enough).  Evernote is very similar in structure to Zoot, and probably will always do web capture better that Zoot.  But I can see Zoot becoming my main notetaking program if it ever becomes polished enough.  Anyway, just to keep things updated here...

Darwin:
Heh, heh, heh - you guys are all right - using Endnote's pdf management feature (as introduced in v.X) is not worth it. I got about half way through manually attaching the relevant pdfs to their Endnote entries and gave up. I attach NEW pdfs to their NEW Endnote entries now, but otherwise have decided to leave well enough alone. I'll add hard links to older pdf's as I need them - ie if I happen to be using Endnote to find an article and it's not linked already I'll do it then, but my days of actually WORKING on moving my pdf library over are over ( :P).

What seemed brilliant when it was announced (and prompted me to part with the upgrade price) in practice is ridiculous. I have 8 GB of PDF's - how important is it that the links to the pdfs follow the library from one computer to the next? This is hardly a portable solution. Give it two years, when 20 GB thumbdrives are $39.95, and I might rethink this but for now it was a cruel lesson in the value of critically evaluating a feature before opening my wallet! Anyway, the attraction of linking pdf's to their Endnote entries for me is that often I'll be reading a paper or a book and coming across a reference or references that I'd like to check out. My first stop is Endnote - if I have the pdf already and it's linked to it's Endnote entry, I can just double click the pdf icon and open it.

urlwolf:
btw, do you guys read pdfs off the screen, or print them out?
I'm really curious.

I have a poll on this running at academicproductivity.com. Please vote.

Grorgy:
I print about 75% of the ones I use, tho I am only using a smallish number, say 100 during a semester (4 mths)

Grorgy:
Actually a lot of the reason i printed so many of them was that I had no idea of all the tools available to do things with them, notes and so on, this thread has really given me a whole new area of usefulness for the computer.  Thanks folks  :) :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version