ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

General brainstorming for Note-taking software

<< < (95/192) > >>

Darwin:
I do essentially the same - I use Evernote for everything, unsorted, and use TexNotes Pro to manage projects. I also use Net Snippets for web stuff (but this boils down to habit, more than anything - Evernote is much easier to use); it's kind of a backup for Evernote.

JeffK:
Since I bought EverNote recently I found myself using it quite a bit.  At work I use UltraRecall, mainly for it's ability to link to and index MS Office documents.

I used to use InfoSelect and still like the application, but upgrades are to expensive, and the interface looks old, albeit working well.

Darwin:
Anyone have any experience using ZuluPad, the Pro version of which is on offer with a DonationCoder discount? It looks quite interesting and when I read about it, I immediately thought of this thread. Searching the archive, I can't find any mention of it. Am I simply profoundly misguided as to what this app is all about (not that that would ever happen to me!)?

nevf:
For the folks that are using Surfulater or are interested in knowing what's happening with it, here is some info on the latest release.

This is an important release which add’s the ability to select and work with multiple articles in the Knowledge Tree. You can move or copy multiple articles, drag and drop them, as well as move or copy them to a different Knowledge Base. Surfulater has been justifiably criticized for not supporting multiple selection. See: Surfulater, the next release for more on this.

Another much requested capability which has been added in this release is the ability to use Surfulater as a Free Knowledge Base Reader. This lets you share your Knowledge Bases with friends and colleagues who aren’t necessarily interested in purchasing Surfulater. It also enables view access to your KB’s from any PC.

You can read more about this new release here: New Surfulater release, V2.00.10.0 ready and waiting and view full release notes here.

As always we look forward to and value your feedback. You can post on our Forums or contact me via. e-mail listed here.

Thanks for your ongoing support.

PS. It is amazing to see this thread is still ongoing and SB is still its guiding light.

rjbull:
rjbull, if I understood your question correctly, you are asking what I use for notetaking?
-superboyac (May 03, 2007, 10:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

I meant that as the ideal notekeeping program doesn't exist, what do people do in the real world, so yes, you did, thanks.

If I come across something that I want to save (random text, internet article), I'll usually just dump it in evernote.  I don't organize at all beyond this point, just dump it in because I know it's easy to find later

--- End quote ---

That's interesting because I have two situations: my personal-interest stuff contains lots of notes that have little relation to each other, so structure is largely irrelevant.  And at work, I have lots of notes that contain very similar keywords, so there, I really need good Boolean search features.  Being able to find your notes is somewhat important :)

That's what I currently do.  I don't have a problem using several applications.  I'd rather use 3 very good applications than one sort of good application, even if it means spreading out the information.

--- End quote ---

I just find myself wondering which application I kept a given piece of information in.  In some cases, I could get round that with a desktop search engine, but not if the applications are encrypted.

If it's something more important that I know I need to keep long-term (passwords, software license details, important information about music, etc.) I'll stick it in my favorite tree-hierarchy program.
--- End quote ---

I tend to keep passwords in KeePass and software license details in an archive, but, I suppose I should keep a separate back-up as well.  In which case, you might like to check out Horst Schaeffer's freeware notekeeper MemPad (go for the beta, big improvement) or the cheap shareware JBLab Secure Notes because they're both encrypted and both portable.  I'm not suggesting you'd use either as your main notekeeper, but those two features are worth thinking about.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version