ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

General brainstorming for Note-taking software

<< < (75/192) > >>

Curt:
Forgive me for not having read all 15 pages on this thread, but I just have to tell about this free note-taking program I am using: Flashnote by Softvoile Company.

http://softvoile.com/flashnote/

- but on the other hand; a trick picture may tell a lot more than my words:

Of course there is a hotkey of your own choice - hit the hotkey and Flashnote will open like a flash. Write at once (no need to place cursor), and forget everything about "save" - when it is written, it is saved / safed! Hit the hotkey again, or press Esc, and the program is gone at once.

It is so easy and so fast, you should love it ... I do!   :-*

I just found out by now that a new version 2.1 have just been launched, December 15' 2006. I am looking forward to try it out. The picture here is the old version 2.0.1
Version 2.1:
    * Added: Possibility to specify path to database
    * Added: Export whole database to txt files

CodeTRUCKER:
I really don't have too many demands for note taking, but it is mandatory that there is a powerful find-as-you-type search capability, like in Evernote 2.  :two: 

daraperak:
I've been here a few months, pretty silent :-[ but totally enjoying this thread especially. Just wanted to chip in something I use. Not quite as powerful as MyBase and the likes but it works for me. My conditions are:

Must work on both PC and MAC
Must be portable
Free is nice but not a requirement

I ended up with a Firefox Plugin. It seems natural to me since I have FF running 99.99% of the time. The plugin is called Scrapbook - http://amb.vis.ne.jp/mozilla/scrapbook/

alexey_r:
The problem I've been having recently with Mybase is that even though it has a lot of features, something is mentally preventing me from using a lot of the more interesting ones.  It has to do with how they are implemented, some slight annoyances just make me say, "forget it, I don't need to use it anyway."  More on this later.  TexNotes seems to do some of these things better (at first glance).
--- End quote ---

From a quick look at TexNotes Pro product tour, it doesn't seem to support tagging, interactive search, or attachments. Is this wrong?

superboyac:
From a quick look at TexNotes Pro product tour, it doesn't seem to support tagging, interactive search, or attachments. Is this wrong?
-alexey_r (January 15, 2007, 12:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

alexey, you really have to download and use the trial to see all the things that texnotes pro can do.  But in response to the items you mentioned:
--tagging; texnotes has the ability to add "keywords" to each note.  What these keywords do, i can't figure out using their help file or their forum.. I'm going to have to post and ask about that since I am curious also.  I know in Mybase and a few of the other programs, you can actually use tags (or "labels" whatever they decide to call it) to actually filter the notes...it's an added level of organization.

--interactive search; I don't know what you mean by this.  If you mean like Mybase and Evernote (search as you type), you are correct that it doesn't do that (I love that feature).  However, I wouldn't hang my hat on that feature, because Texnotes has several innovative and useful search tools.  So, if it wouldn't kill you to have to press "enter" at the end of your searches, you might be very pleased with what it can do.

--attachments; texnotes does support attachments, and then some.  I would have been very surprised if it couldn't do something as basic as that.  Look at the attached screenshot to really see all the ways you can have attachments.
General brainstorming for Note-taking software

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version