ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

General brainstorming for Note-taking software

<< < (67/192) > >>

superboyac:
kfitting:  good point about the tagging in MyInfo.  I noticed the same thing about that and thought it was really cool.  In fact, in the official roundup that I just finished (hopefully, it will get posted this month sometime), I put in a small mention of MyInfo's tagging system, because it was unique and useful.

Clive:
With regard to EverNote - I gave it a try as I was looking for something that could take all my varied odds and ends and then be searchable. I don't really care for "trees" and "hierachies".
My question is this - do hyperlinks go inactive in EverNote? They certainly did for me any time I copied one in.

rjbull:
I don't think Notebox Disorganizer has been mentioned so far.  It's aimed at writers, and is truly weird.  Here is part of a third-party review:

No, seriously, you should check out NoteBox Disorganizer:
It's an amazingly useful program.

NoteBox Disorganizer is tailor-made for quickly jotting down notes and
ideas, organizing those notes and ideas, combining selected notes into a
document, and exporting that document for publication. It's truly my
favorite writing program, and I've tried pretty much everything out
there. Here are some of the things that make NoteBox Disorganizer so
outstanding:

* Notes are kept in a spreadsheet-like grid that is easy to understand
and navigate. And that means all your notes are spread out in plain
sight; nothing is hidden away in a database or lost in an outline
"tree."

* It's possible to name each column, so you can easily categorize your
notes under the columns where they belong. Have a note that belongs
under more than one category? Clone it! Change a clone, and that change
is reflected in all of the others.

* It's also possible to name each *row,* so you can lay out a book's
structure before you even start writing.

[...]

I love the side-by-sideness of all this, which gives me a sense of
overview, organization, and control that I don't get in any other
program.

* If you need finer "granularity" in categorizing notes, you can include
note ~keywords in the text (and keep an alphabetical list of those
~keywords) and then do a "bounded" search for them. In Boolean terms,
that's an "And" search, which finds notes that include all of the
specified ~keywords. Don't want to fuss with ~keywords? You can still
use a bounded search to find notes that contain several terms.

--- End quote ---

superboyac:
With regard to EverNote - I gave it a try as I was looking for something that could take all my varied odds and ends and then be searchable. I don't really care for "trees" and "hierachies".
My question is this - do hyperlinks go inactive in EverNote? They certainly did for me any time I copied one in.

-Clive (August 23, 2006, 02:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

No, the hyperlinks are still active, but you have to double-click on them to open up the site.  I know, most people are used to single-clicking with the cursor changing to a "hand" when it passes over the link.  Surfulater behaves like this, and so does Mybase, and probably most other programs.  I actually prefer Evernote's double-clicking ways because it feels more like a text editor for even the hyperlinks and prevents accidental clicking on the links.

manora:
Hi,

I came across a product called "Livepad" seems like a different kind of note taking software. Has the ability to write and draw anywhere on the page, I think what they were after was like writing on a paper pad effect but on a normal PC. Interesting concept I am still trying it so the jury is till out if it really achieves that aim.

Seems to have a number of features and comes in very useful for Web Research and Brainstorming ....

a. Drag & Drop from a web page and get the URL as well

b. Any size screen clipping from anywhere which i find quite usefull

c. Collaboration although must confess I have not used this yet

d. Organizing and scheduling tools which i think may be a bit basic

All in all has some things which can be improved upon like organizing and scheduling but as a note taker, web research or brainstorming tool very good for the price its sold at you get a lot for your buck. Get more details from http://www.seeplain.com or download from http://www.seeplain.com/livepad.htm

Would love to know what others think of this.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version