ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

General brainstorming for Note-taking software

<< < (186/192) > >>

urlwolf:
Scrivener does something to rdf that is pseudoproprietary.
Plus the filenames do not reflect the titles, just numbers. It's effectively useless from a file browser, or to prevent vendor lockin.

wraith808:
I haven't found that.  I look in my files directory, and the RTF files open fine in Word.  They are named numerically, but it's pretty easy to see what it is.  And as far as vendor lock-in in regards to that, it has a pretty extensive export function.  I edit the files outside of scrivener all the time, even syncing them with Skydrive.  So, at least on windows, I haven't had the same experience as you, other than the numerical file names.

urlwolf:
The number file names is a show stopper though. How do you find something from a file browser? You may have to search, but this doesn't help as the title (the most informative part of the file) is not in the numbered rtfs.

This is why I see it as effectively useless to avoid lock-in.

urlwolf:
And exporting, at least on windows, is unsatisfactory. The titles of the snippets are not exported (that I could find). There are tricks to get a title to be a heading (making it a folder first) but this is extremely tiresome.

I've given up on scrivener, but maybe someone here can find a workaround :)

wraith808:
Perhaps as a note taker it is a show-stopper.  Forgot that this is a note-taking thread.  I use it for writing, so haven't really thought nor investigated any of those.

My titles are actually in the files, so all of my information is there.  As I don't really worry about it since the export works enough for me, and I can, and already do edit my novels/books in other programs (and even on my ipad), I haven't really thought about it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version