ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

General brainstorming for Note-taking software

<< < (183/192) > >>

urlwolf:
@Dormouse: Scrivener does web clippings just fine.
It even has the floating clipboard window that onenote has.
Doesn't work well on linux, though.

rjbull:
I vaguely recognise the name BHO from the (very) dim and distant past, but I'm note sure if I have ever used it. I might have another look.-Dormouse (December 31, 2012, 06:44 AM)
--- End quote ---
I don't think you'd like it in its present form.  It's unusual if not unique in being three-pane, and having a drop target "basket," but it needs considerable updating.  E.g., Web clips and RTF clips both transfer as plain text, despite BHO having RTF editing; entering internal note-to-note links is a pain, and so on.  I've lodged some comments with the new developer, who says his list is growing...

While I have been messing about looking at these programs again, I decided to install the latest version of Zoot (which I don't think I have ever tried before). Seems seriously weird/different and its not obvious exactly how to manage it-Dormouse (December 31, 2012, 06:44 AM)
--- End quote ---
If you look hard enough on DC, maybe even in this very thread, you'll find superboyAC saying much the same thing about an older version of Zoot, and taking quite a while to "get" it.

I can understand why the trial period lasts 90 days, and I'm not sure that will be quite enough. No idea if there is any sense in the perception, but it felt as if it might be more like IQ than the other progs I have used - I've never been able to get into IQ, but always had a lot of respect for what it seems capable of doing.
-Dormouse (December 31, 2012, 06:44 AM)
--- End quote ---
Pierre kindly sent me a free personal license for IQ, but it has a reputation for being hard to get to grips with.

Dormouse:
@Dormouse: Scrivener does web clippings just fine.
It even has the floating clipboard window that onenote has.
Doesn't work well on linux, though.
-urlwolf (December 31, 2012, 01:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've not managed a successful web clipping yet, 1st stalled near the end, 2nd produced a can't do it message, 3rd froze the program, 4th time failed. I'll maybe try it again, but I don't think it likely that I will use if often since I've not found a convenient way of doing it - only entering URL.

Screenshots I can do, though have to make sure Scrivener itself is out of the way.

I can drag images & text onto the scratch pad; no source but otherwise works OK & I can see how to manage the sources. Still not as convenient as monitoring the clipboard, but would be workable.

I don't really see myself using Scrivener to collect or store primary information. Or writing short documents  (too many niggles (eg still haven't got a good way of managing tables) & doesn't have the buttons or window organisation that I prefer). For longer documents it is good. And will hopefully improve further. Pricing, I think, is also fair and definitely non-gouging. Seems strange to be saying that about an Apple originated program.

Dormouse:
As I'm looking through the programs I have, I find few that will take clips from documents and record the source document with the clip. The three I have found are CH+S, Cinta Notes and Zoot.
I was wondering whether there are any others that people use regularly that can do that?

wraith808:
I totally agree on Scrivener.  I love it for organized projects (books, etc).  But for general note taking?  Just too heavy and not what I really view it for.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version