ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

General brainstorming for Note-taking software

<< < (182/192) > >>

J-Mac:
You would prefer the alternative that he didn't offer the update at all - realistically that is the alternative?

-Dormouse (December 30, 2012, 05:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

It is not. C'mon, you make this into a Hobson's choice when it is no such thing! So there are only two alternatives? What makes that "realistic"?

Jim

Dormouse:
It is not. C'mon, you make this into a Hobson's choice when it is no such thing! So there are only two alternatives? What makes that "realistic"?
-J-Mac (December 30, 2012, 05:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think it is. He suspended development in Oct 2008 because of weak sales.
v4 upgrade was released 2009 bringing W7 compatibility & a small number of other enhancements (none of which have made much difference to me). v5 this year, W8 compatibility and very few other improvements.
Really active development is clearly contingent upon sales and sales forecasts, and hasn't happened since 2008. I am really glad he is doing enough to keep the product viable, but equally won't spend anything on an upgrade unless it is going to benefit me to the extent of the cost.

If there were something better out there, then I would think everyone would move to it. As it is, I think a number of people have convinced themselves that other products are better purely because they are pissed off with Kinook or worry about the lack of development rather than its actual functionality. For me, the big limit on its value has always been the way it ties in to MS progs, which I prefer not to do - but I still don't see a clearly better alternative.

clean:
I took the liberty to notify this UR discussion to kinook here:

http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthread.php?p=20151post20151

rjbull:
@Dormouse:

Neither Black Hole Organizer nor Aml Pages are in anything like the same class as UR, but they share a feature obligate mouse jockeys might like.  Both have a floating drag-and-drop target.  You mark a block with your mouse and drag it onto the target, when the program automatically creates a new note.  Aml Pages includes the URL, BHO doesn't, but BHO stagnated a long time before the new developer took it over.

Dormouse:
Neither Black Hole Organizer nor Aml Pages are in anything like the same class as UR, but they share a feature obligate mouse jockeys might like.  Both have a floating drag-and-drop target.  You mark a block with your mouse and drag it onto the target, when the program automatically creates a new note.  Aml Pages includes the URL, BHO doesn't, but BHO stagnated a long time before the new developer took it over.
-rjbull (December 30, 2012, 02:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks. I have Aml Pages, purely because the basket seemed like a good idea, but never found it useful enough as a whole to keep on using it.
I vaguely recognise the name BHO from the (very) dim and distant past, but I'm note sure if I have ever used it. I might have another look.
While I have been messing about looking at these programs again, I decided to install the latest version of Zoot (which I don't think I have ever tried before). Seems seriously weird/different and its not obvious exactly how to manage it, but it did save the source of the clip from a file and seems to have a lot of features, and, more importantly, that I can get to grips with using it, even if it will take a lot of effort. I can understand why the trial period lasts 90 days, and I'm not sure that will be quite enough. No idea if there is any sense in the perception, but it felt as if it might be more like IQ than the other progs I have used - I've never been able to get into IQ, but always had a lot of respect for what it seems capable of doing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version