ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

General brainstorming for Note-taking software

<< < (180/192) > >>

Dormouse:
I've been continuing my examination of RightNote & TreeDBNotes clipping abilities.

RightNote is clearly better at clipping webpages. Keeps a record of the source, can clip (I think it actually downloads) whole webpages, and the formatting is pretty good. But it does not keep a record of the source files when clipping sections from files and having to use the hotkeys to do any clipping, is pretty tiresome, when I'm just browsing or reading by using the mouse. So far I have failed to get the screen capture to work; I can identify the area to clip but nothing saves.

TreeDBNotes has a button which will turn on the ability to save each item going into the clipboard into a new note as well as a screen capture that does work for me. Doesn't save the sources at all. Easy enough to get around - just give a note to each file that is being clipped from, and the clips will be saved as subnotes under it.

They'd both be more useful if they would record the source of all clips. CintaNotes is an example to both of them for that.

In terms of practical use for me, I can't say that one is better than the other for clipping. It depends on what I am doing. These abilities seem to play into the strengths of both, RightNote for storing info & TreeDBNotes for using info. Overall, TreeDBNotes has far more features than RightNote.

J-Mac:
I am running RightNote Pro and MyInfo concurrently. I try to mimic everything in both, e.g., capture a web page in MyInfo and then immediately do the same in RN. RN still misses on more than a few pages, either claims that it cannot capture that page or it just muddles it up when it tries. Also takes significantly longer than MyInfo. MyInfo has captured just about everything I have thrown at it. Not everything, but close. MyInfo also keeps an Attributes pane full of source info for each capture, while RN doesn’t. However MyInfo, while having a "Notes" pane for each webpage capture, does not have the same for captures of other content - not webpages - like another open program's window.

BTW, where is the Note pane for RN? I don’t see one at all. There is a "Scratch" pane but whatever you enter there shows for all captures. Not sure what use that has.

Thanks!

Jim

Dormouse:
BTW, where is the Note pane for RN? I don’t see one at all. There is a "Scratch" pane but whatever you enter there shows for all captures. Not sure what use that has.
-J-Mac (December 28, 2012, 10:09 PM)
--- End quote ---
dk about a note pane, but you can add notes to a webclip by toggling edit mode.

I am running RightNote Pro and MyInfo concurrently. ... RN still misses on more than a few pages, either claims that it cannot capture that page or it just muddles it up when it tries. Also takes significantly longer than MyInfo. MyInfo has captured just about everything I have thrown at it.
-J-Mac (December 28, 2012, 10:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

I tried MyInfo after seeing a number of people say it had overtaken Ultra Recall, but haven't seen anything in it to confirm that view. MyInfo does not have an addon to clip from Opera, and the other methods are rather tedious. The thing I will say about RN is that it does clip from Opera, not always reliably I agree. I feel that UR is still better than MyInfo, even if MyInfo has improved (and it does have its note pane for clips from other applications).

I'm still not sure what I will do about whole page webclips. RN works okay for when I am casually browsing using Opera - but so does Evernote - and for highly targetted browsing I could easily enough use FF or ie and then use UR. Evernote looks increasingly ubiquitous; lots of ways of putting stuff in, such as the little click.to app. For clips from webpages, there are lots of ways of doing it and I'm likely to just use a program I already use. Haven't really decided about CintaNotes or whether I will use a clipboard manager (ClipMate, Ditto, CH+S etc) more systematically for longer term, info storing clips.

J-Mac:

I tried MyInfo after seeing a number of people say it had overtaken Ultra Recall, but haven't seen anything in it to confirm that view.-Dormouse (December 29, 2012, 06:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

I was using UR-Pro for a few years but I was getting really aggravated about a couple things. For one, capturing web pages - it works great, and then it doesn’t. And when it doesn’t it really doesn’t, in a big way! And requests for help, while not going unanswered, don’t get me anywhere. Also, MS Office docs will open internally just fine... and then they stop and insist on opening externally in the relevant Office programs. Then I must go through re-doing the registry changes recommended by Kinook and revamping all my UR settings - usually ending up where I started - and the last time it happened it never did get back to opening documents internally. Kyle just doesn’t seem as committed to customer support as he once was.

Oh, yes - and then there was the upgrade to version 5, which turned out to be not a major upgrade after all. No new features, no bug fixes. Just wants folks to pay to continue using UR as it is. I gave up. Unfortunate because it definitely was the best out there IMO. At least when everything was working right, which it wasn’t anymore for me. I just had to get out and try other PIMs. I couldn't stand to go through another Support Request PITA again with Kinook. If he ever decides to develop UR again and show even just a little commitment to the users I'd upgrade and go back to it in a minute.

MyInfo does not have an addon to clip from Opera, and the other methods are rather tedious. The thing I will say about RN is that it does clip from Opera, not always reliably I agree. I feel that UR is still better than MyInfo, even if MyInfo has improved (and it does have its note pane for clips from other applications).
--- End quote ---

Where is the Notes pane for other applications in MyInfo?    :tellme:   I can't find it and I have really, really looked for it!

I rarely use Opera and haven't tried clipping from it, so I can't comment on that.

I'm still not sure what I will do about whole page webclips. RN works okay for when I am casually browsing using Opera - but so does Evernote - and for highly targetted browsing I could easily enough use FF or ie and then use UR. Evernote looks increasingly ubiquitous; lots of ways of putting stuff in, such as the little click.to app. For clips from webpages, there are lots of ways of doing it and I'm likely to just use a program I already use. Haven't really decided about CintaNotes or whether I will use a clipboard manager (ClipMate, Ditto, CH+S etc) more systematically for longer term, info storing clips.

--- End quote ---

I agree wrt Evernote. I just use it casually and then I start reading about more and more positive changes they make. It is still the only one that makes your data easily and quickly available on just about every other platform. I have tried the free (or trial?) version of CintaNotes and it is looking nice, but I don’t see it replacing anything I have at this time.

Thanks!

Jim

urlwolf:
Just a quick note to say that I'm very happy with Scrivener as a notetaker.
In linux :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version