ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

General brainstorming for Note-taking software

<< < (168/192) > >>

urlwolf:
After spending a long time, and trying most of the tool in this thread, I now use gDocs for notes, together with syncdocs. The interface is better (smooth scroll, highlights all search matches, default shortcuts are good), the features are better (change tracking, autosaving, trully excellent collaboration), and it opens faster than most tools here, simply by using the 'save as shortcut' feature in chrome.

Syncdocs is great too. If someone edits a doc online, and you open the .doc in your hard drive, even offline, with word, you see the 'track changes.' Genious.

The only thing I don't like is the lack of drag and drop for pictures, and the delays going from files to the 'file manager' view. First time a web app beats a desktop app, in a category that is incredibly competitive.

I would not use gdocs instead of word for long docs, though. For notes, it's perfect.

My 2 c.

rjbull:
Just when you thought this thread was safely dead, jumps up again.  There's yet another one that doesn't seem to have been mentioned on DC: Aml Pages.  Aml Pages is tree-structured notes organizer for Windows. It contains all your notes, information, web pages, passwords, URL-address in the form of a tree, so you can quickly find what you need. The Aml Pages can easily save web pages (or fragments) from the Internet and provides a sticky for quick notes. Manage megatons of your notes with ease at work and at home.

Support plain text, rich text and web pages, tables and figures, attachments, and many plug-ins for expansion features. At any moment you can instantly record the important information in a sticky note, not looking up from the important cases.
Aml Pages allows you to store absolutely any information in its database: texts, images, screenshots, files, URLs and etc. Moreover, you can store both links to files and files themselves.
--- End quote ---

Found from a Bits du Jour e-mail about a future promotion of it: Bits du Jour - Aml Pages Home License.  Their blurb:  Aml Pages Home License
Organize Notes In a Tree Structure

By now, we've all gotten used to the intuitive effectiveness of the tree structure for navigating file systems. It all makes so much sense, having nested folders to organize your data for easy retrieval - so why not adopt this same approach to your notes? With today's discount software promotion, Aml Pages, you can!

Aml Pages lets you keep all of your notes, information, websites, passwords, and other data in a convenient and intuitive tree structure. With Aml Pages, you'll be able to capture information quickly as you perform your research, making your workflow more productive and efficient. Capturing a complete web page is as simple as pressing a hotkey, or dragging and dropping selected text. There's native support for plain text, rich text, images, screenshots, tables and figures, attachments, and more. Anything you need to save, you can save with Aml Pages!

Beyond just the tree structure, Aml Pages also helps you by letting you customize each node of your tree with its own font, size, style, and color. On top of that, you can use tags to further categorize your information. When it comes time to find anything, a powerful search engine lets you quickly locate your target, and you can create adjustable filters to include or exclude specific criteria. Bonus features include password protection for all data and backup copies, and autosave that ensures that your notes are always safeguarded!
Promotion Written by Derek Lee
--- End quote ---

I don't know how it's considered better/different than the multitude of similar programs, and have asked in the Bits promotion.  I also asked about import/export, tired of being locked into proprietary formats.

TaoPhoenix:
Well, that's something, anyway.  We aren't going to adopt Office 2010 anytime soon, on the grounds that it's a memory hog, so I won't worry that I'm missing anything.  I did hope that there would be aversion of OneNote for Mac, but I think I would have heard of that by now, if so.

Thanks!
-melitabel (October 11, 2010, 03:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hmm, I'd recommend Excel 2010 because you get to make *custom* ribbons which changes the whole Ribbon discussion for me at least!

J-Mac:
Hmm, I'd recommend Excel 2010 because you get to make *custom* ribbons which changes the whole Ribbon discussion for me at least!
-TaoPhoenix (May 16, 2012, 05:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, but only to an extent. I'm disappointed in it. Just about everything I wanted to add/remove from the ribbon bounced with messages that either I can't do that or I can only do that with a "custom group". They still haven't made things much easier or even logical. An example: I tried to add the strike-out tool to the ribbon - ever notice that's missing? Naturally I wanted to add it next to the Bold, Italic, and Underline icons, but Nooooooo.... "You must create a custom group to add that". And of course I couldn't seem to add a custom group next to the other text formatting icons, nor even near them. Just stupid stuff like that I've encountered. Try as I might, I just cannot grow to like the ribbon. The separation of tools is a real PITA. Like being in Table Tools in OneNote and you need to add formatting - Bold or Italic - to text? Gotta click on Home at the other end of the ribbon, then back again. Of course keyboard shortcuts solve that, but when, say, changing the font or font size? Just too much jumping around from tab to tab. Don’t like it after two years of use.

Jim

longrun:
I'm not sure what the ribbon has to do with note-taking, but it is one of the most annoying inventions ever. For one thing, there's nothing ribbony about it. One dictionary definition is "notion consisting of a narrow strip of fine material used for trimming." The MS ribbon is hardly narrow; it takes up a practically a third of the screen.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version