ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

General brainstorming for Note-taking software

<< < (53/192) > >>

rjbull:
Dr. FF is a Surfulater fan and uses it himself. See: http://www.tucows.com/article/848 and -nevf (June 09, 2006, 05:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's the trouble; he's enthusiastic about more or less everything he mentions.  Doesn't much help anyone looking for a comparison.  For the same reason I don't take much notice of "awards."  Nearly every program that isn't a complete disaster seem to end up with a load of awards.   >:(

kfitting:
This doesnt directly relate to Note-Taking (it's about office software), but it shares a concept brought up here.  It's part of a blog from an Excel programmer's blog (http://dicks-blog.com/).  It talks about making a program that allowed the user to define the interface.  Honestly, this idea would be awesome.  mouser, have you started programming the next DC app yet?  ;)  Heh, heh, though this is an awesome concept... I just cant imagine how complex it would become!

— imagine if you will a OneNote “writing pad” where the “things” you put in wherever you want would be components from today’s overall Office suite — XL, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, FrontPage, what-have-you.
--- End quote ---

Kevin

nevf:
  Also, Evernote and Surfulater use scrolls, while Zoot does something completely different, which is to organize the notes like an 3-pane email program.  It's all a matter of preference.  For some situations, I prefer the scrolling, and for others, I prefer not scrolling.
-superboyac (June 09, 2006, 08:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

IMO the reason three panes work very well for e-mail is that you have a continuing stream of new items coming in and the "list" pane clearly shows what's new, which is pretty important.

For note-taking programs the user is in control and knows precisely when new content is added, so this need for a list to see what's new is diminished and the screen space can be used for other purposes, such as showing more content.

The 3 pane style could be changed to 2 panes, with the list items expanding and collapsing to show either their full content or a brief summary. This gives you the best of both approaches and might work well for some folks and programs. This is in fact the model Surfulater uses. I have yet to see any e-mail programs that work this way though.

My 2.5C.

nevf:
Dr. FF is a Surfulater fan and uses it himself. See: http://www.tucows.com/article/848 and -nevf (June 09, 2006, 05:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's the trouble; he's enthusiastic about more or less everything he mentions.  Doesn't much help anyone looking for a comparison. 
-rjbull (June 11, 2006, 10:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

I can't comment on Dr. FF and other programs, but I can re-iterate that he is truly an avid Surfulater user.

For the same reason I don't take much notice of "awards."  Nearly every program that isn't a complete disaster seem to end up with a load of awards.   >:(

--- End quote ---

I agree 110%. These sites are a joke and largely a complete waist of peoples time. Every few days a new one seems to spring up and I get e-mails saying I've got 10 elephants, 6 monkeys or 5 giraffes. All they are trying to do is get links back to their site so they have better search engine ranking. You won't see any of these supposed awards on the surfulater site.

superboyac:
Every few days a new one seems to spring up and I get e-mails saying I've got 10 elephants, 6 monkeys or 5 giraffes.
--- End quote ---

Haha!  That's pretty funny.  I gotta include that on my next podcast.

Yeah, awards don't really mean much in practical issues, but it looks good sometimes.  That's why instead of awards, I like when software reviews put one of those grids that have a list of features and put a check mark next to the program that includes the feature.  I find those very helpful.  That gives me another idea for my review for these notetaking software.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version