ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

General brainstorming for Note-taking software

<< < (52/192) > >>

superboyac:
OK, I was just doing some preparation for this summary, and I decided to try Zoot out again.  If you remember earlier, I was initially intrigued with Zoot, but then disgusted because it was so dated.  But looking at it again, it's really an innovative application that has loads of potential if it just gets with the times.

My database for notetaking would be 90% text anyway, so Zoot remains an option for me.  But I still really need that 10% of additional ability.  That's why the Big Three still remain Surfulater, Mybase, and Evernote.  But I'm telling you , as soon as that author changes the software from 16 bit to 32 bit, watch out Big Three!  Actually, Evernote is the most similar to Zoot.  Surfulater and Mybase are different enough that the comparison will seem odd.

superboyac:
Black Hole Organizer:

I tried this software just now, and it's ok.  It's really nothing special.  There were some reviews on the web that give it really good ratings.  I can see that...for the average user it's a good mix of simplicity and nice power features.  However, considering the details we've been talking about here, it doesn't really offer anything particularly new or unique.

There was something very interesting about it, and that is that it is laid out very similarly to Zoot!  That's interesting because while Zoot is unquestionably outdated right now, this software is modern and has all the hip features you can want (rtf, hyperlinks, tables! [Yes! tables!], bullet lists, numbered lists, etc.).  The reason why I say it's similar to Zoot is because it lays out the panes like an email program and Zoot is the only other notetaking program that does that.  You have the categories (like email folders) on the left, the titles (email list) on the right, and the note content (email message) on the bottom.  Just like email!  I still think this is a cool way of doing these notetaking programs.  Unfortunately, it doesn't have all the powerful features of Zoot like auto-categorizing and filtering and stuff.

Anyway, check it out, it's cool.

rjbull:
Black Hole Organizer:

I tried this software just now, and it's ok.  It's really nothing special.  There were some reviews on the web that give it really good ratings.
-superboyac (June 08, 2006, 10:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

It might just have reached the public consciousness earlier than the competition.  Being a Dr. File Finder pick probably gave it a boost.  Interestingly, some of Dr File Finder's Web pages say "Web Design and all graphics courtesy of Lincoln Beach Software!", and it's Lincoln Beach that sell Black Hole Organizer.

for the average user it's a good mix of simplicity and nice power features.

--- End quote ---

I find it a bit slow, especially compared to, say, Treepad Lite.  It doesn't really have good enough Boolean searching for me, either, though search power is slightly better than some.

There was something very interesting about it, and that is that it is laid out very similarly to Zoot!  [...]  Unfortunately, it doesn't have all the powerful features of Zoot like auto-categorizing and filtering and stuff.

--- End quote ---

It's cheaper than Zoot, though  ;)

nevf:
(One question, nevf...what's the difference between the 2nd button which shows "no articles", and the 1st button where you can turn the articles off?  I don't see a difference.)
--- End quote ---
The first button "normal" shows the tree in the state you've set. ie. With whatever folders you've expanded or collapsed. There are also the options to hide/show all articles in this tree view or just the articles in a selected folder. The second button shows every folder and doesn't show any articles. ie. The tree view is fully expanded. This view lets you quickly locate a folder.

Anyway, like I said, it's the best implementation of a tree in all the main softwares in this genre.
--- End quote ---
The Surfulater tree has been designed and written (by me) to be very flexible and fast which you can easily see by the various tree views. I'll be adding more views and filters in future.

OK, I was just doing some preparation for this summary, and I decided to try Zoot out again.
--- End quote ---
I've looked at Zoot several times and just don't get it. It has a loyal and enthusiastic following with folks hanging on for a modern version. One day the penny might drop. SB maybe you can summarize what Zoot is about in your eyes.

Being a Dr. File Finder pick probably gave it a boost. 
--- End quote ---

Dr. FF is a Surfulater fan and uses it himself. See: http://www.tucows.com/article/848 and http://blog.surfulater.com/2006/03/31/surfulater-a-dr-file-finder-tucows-favorite/

superboyac:
The Surfulater tree has been designed and written (by me) to be very flexible and fast which you can easily see by the various tree views. I'll be adding more views and filters in future.
--- End quote ---
That's great to hear.  It's great how you're pushing for innovation in that area.  Thanks for the explanation on the two buttons, it's kind of subtle, but very useful.

I've looked at Zoot several times and just don't get it. It has a loyal and enthusiastic following with folks hanging on for a modern version. One day the penny might drop. SB maybe you can summarize what Zoot is about in your eyes.
--- End quote ---
You have to look at Zoot from a purely text-based point of view to appreciate it.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're (nevf) more of a webpage kind of person (text, images, links, formatting, etc.).  That's why those that love Surfulater love that they can capture virtually anything and preserve the "look".  At the same time, for more simple users like me that pretty much just do text, that's not as big an issue, so programs like Zoot are still viable options.  But it's always better to have more options and turn additional features off than to be incapable of doing modern things, and that's Zoot's problem for now.  But Zoot is interesting because it's email-like interface which I like, and it's powerful auto-filtering feautres, and it's fantastic live search feature.  In fact, if you take out the web-capturing feature of Evernote, and reduce it to a simple text format, it's almost just like Zoot, except less powerful.  Also, Evernote and Surfulater use scrolls, while Zoot does something completely different, which is to organize the notes like an 3-pane email program.  It's all a matter of preference.  For some situations, I prefer the scrolling, and for others, I prefer not scrolling.

There are things about Zoot that are major turnoffs besides just the ancient featureset.  For example, the way the databases are managed and constructed can be initially confusing and convoluted.  It's price is prohibitive to all but the most committed users, which will prevent people from even considering it.  See, users can buy Surfulater and Evernote, and these other programs, and within minutes, you'll feel comfortable with it and can begin using it.  Zoot is not like that.  I tried Zoot 3 times before I got to a point where I said "Oh!  I get it now."  And most people aren't going to give it even half that effort.  But I'm still convinced that IF Zoot is updated to a modern version, it will be a very valuable and unique addition to the notetaking genre.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version