ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

General brainstorming for Note-taking software

<< < (48/192) > >>

superboyac:
I've just printed out posts 1-340 (wow!) and I'm going to start putting together an official summary of this thread to date.  I'll send it to mouser and maybe he can format it to be like an official DC document.

thomthowolf:
NEW NOTE TAKERS TO SHARE 

Ok, so here are a couple more note-taking apps to consider.  The first actually came from a disgruntled poster on the Evernote Forum (truth is, there are a lot of those.)  He said:

By the way, o good evernoters community, did you ever hear of a product called MyInfo (see http://www.milenix.com/). It's an amazing product which adds a OneNote-like organisation over the EverNote-like categories. Kinda best of both worlds, even though the produc lacks the Tablet PC Ink support.
And maybe, maybe... Well, maybe they live in a country far away where the good people care about their customers and deliver new versions on a monthly basis with new features and can then expect to draw confidence and mindshare, which basically means market share and survival. Oh well...
--- End quote ---

You have to excuse the sarcasm.  This is from a post to a brand new user.  I think you have to be really p****d off to hang around a forum just to discourage new members.  Still, I downloaded MyInfo yesterday and did a small project with it.  I don't see that it offers a lot of new functionality, though, if Evermike or Devf are reading this, you should both take a look at the clever way they managed to implement tags and notes.  Also, Devf, you should look at how clean the interface is capable of being.  I would love it if Surfulator had the ability to shift between its normal interface and a completely clean interface at will.  (I know, I know, I will go post the suggestion on the Surfulator forum :)
If you missed the link it was http://www.milenix.com

Another interesting piece of software we should look at is the Literary Machine http://www.sommestad.com/lm__index2.htm
This one is really interesting.  I actually looked at this as a writer's tool some years back, but I found it a little cumbersome at the time.  Of course, at the time we hadn't yet heard of the millenium bug :tellme:. I guess it was more years back than I thought. :(
 Nowadays, my computer is faster and the software is a lot better, even in the freeware version which hasn't been updated for a few years.  This is really a "drop it into the hole and organize it later" type of program.  Pretty much an open form relational database. I have to say that I remember far less about it than I thought I would, but I am studying it.  It has a steeper learning curve than I might like, but it seems really capable.  It might be that this would bridge the gap between Evernote and actual writing, especially if Evernote ever actually releases the next update featuring drag and drop in and out. 
Oh, yeah, I should point out that this is a REALLY mouse intensive program :(.  I will write a mini review after I have had a bit more time to play with it. 

superboyac:
MyInfo was mentioned a few posts ago.  I tried it out and didn't see that it could do anything Mybase couldn't do.  Maybe it's interface was a little smoother.  But it's just a normal tree-heirarchy like Mybase, so I didn't notice anything special about it.  At least Mybase offers loads of additional features.

I'll try it again and see if I notice anything different.

superboyac:
thomthowolf, don't even go there with Literary Machine!   ;D

Seriously, Literary Machine is a program that 90% of the users would have a hard time beginning to do even basic things.  LM is a very abstract thing, I don't think it would fit in at all as far as a general notetaking program.  It's even more difficult to grasp than Zoot.  LM is strictly a poweruser tool.

I tried LM last year, whew!  It was crazy.  I'm sure there are some features in there that may be applicable to notetaking, but, to me, this falls in the "do not try this at home" category.

superboyac:
(I'm moving this topic back into the brainstorming thread, since I think it applies)

OK, I just went back and looked at Taonotes again.  It's very interesting for sure.  First of all, I agree with nevf, that the interface is extremely cluttered...at this point, I couldn't bring myself to commit to the program because it feels too awkward for me.  But let me point out some good things about it:

--I like how there's several ways to organize data.  There are lots of different schemes in the tabs on the left.  Like tags to keywords, to a seemingly normal tree structure.  Now, I have no idea how the individual items are kept track of, but having the multiple options is nice.  Surfulater does this also, in a different way.

--The filter-as-you-type feature is awesome!  I think it's a very good implementation of it, it's fast and seems to work well.  Evernote is still the king of this feature so far.  But Taonote's is better than the one that just got introduced to Mybase (v5).  The one in Mybase is a little clunky; it doesn't work as well as you'd like it to.  So Taonotes is like 2nd best here so far.  Good!

Anyway, those are my thoughts so far.  I'm definitely intrigued by the program and what it can offer.  But, please, for the sake of sanity, do something about the interface or the basic layout!  I just can't figure out what everything does.  There are tabs on the left, tabs on the right, weird buttons and symbols everywhere, it's like heiroglyphics!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version