ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

General brainstorming for Note-taking software

<< < (23/192) > >>

kfitting:
superboyac:

Yes, the underlying structure should be something more database-like... so long as the user can make trees that look exactly like he's used to!  Stressing "can" here.  I would love to be able to make flow charts, block diagrams, and trees all about the same data and all cross-referenced.  This takes more than a tree.  But, at the end of the day, I have to be able to make a tree for most of my data.  I would love to be able to make a node and give it filter characteristics so that it "auto populates."  I would love to make a node and have it filter but also remember nodes I drag and drop onto it.  I also would love to have nodes only contain what I say they can contain. 

Have you seen Opera's M2 email client?  I understand people either like it or hate it, but to see what I mean about filters it really is worth a try.  It's got it's problems so I don't suggest you take the attitude that it will replace whatever you're currently using, but download it and see what the filter/folder is all about.  Then imagine a world with a mass of data structured any way you like....... ahhhhhhh...

Kevin

Kevin

kfitting:
Looks like MyInfo is getting closer to this idea too... http://www.milenix.com/myinfo-screenshots.php

I admit the price is a tad steep (still within the realm of affordability, however), but it's got some interesting features I'll have to try out.  I bought it a while ago so it's free for me.  Just another candidate! (Based around trees! with tags though)

Kevin

superboyac:
Nice find, kfitting!  I'm going to take a look at that.  Where do these programs show up from, out of nowhere?!  I'm interested in it's tree structure, which -seems- to be a bit more than the tradional tree-heirarchy.  You mentioned tags, and the website mentions "cloning" notes, so I'm hoping it is possible for a single note to appear in various places, as in Surfulater, Evernote, and Zoot.  More on this later!

kfitting:
Where do they come from?  I don't know.  Truth be known, this was the first note-taking program I ever found.  Keynote was next.  This latest version finally appears to come close to beating Keynote.  I'll have to test it though. 

Kevin

superboyac:
Kevin, I just tried out MyInfo, and I have to say, I'm somewhat dissappointed.  It's pretty nice and polished and has a lot of the basic features, but it is still just a plain tree heirarchy.  Actually, it reminds me a lot of Mybase, and for that reason, I would just use Mybase instead, because I feel it's a little more powerful.  The tags are nice, but they're not tags in the sophisticated sense we have been talking about here, as in Evernote.

And to answer Jimdoria, I kind of ruled InfoSelect out of this discussion because it does much more than just collect information.  Infoselect falls more into the category of UltraRecall, Ecco, and other do-everything-and-the-kitchen-sink programs.  And with the enormous price tag, I think it just doesn't fit practically into what we're talking about here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version