ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

General brainstorming for Note-taking software

<< < (21/192) > >>

superboyac:
Another interesting software I got from the eccorefugee link above, it's called InfoHandler:
http://www.mdesoft.com/eng.htm

I don't necessarily agree with his (eccorefugee) reviews, but I think he may be approaching this topic from different perspective.  I think he's focusing more on an Ecco-like solution, where a lot of different functions are covered.  I'm more interested in notetaking and just plain information collection and organization.

nevf:
By the way, can someone please explain what the big deal about Ecco Pro is?  I understand that it was an awesome program back in the day, but is it still all that awesome even with our modern expectations?

I've tried it many times, and I'm always left wondering what's so great about it.  Yeah, it's outlining is nice, but the whole thing is so old fashioned, I can't get over it.
-superboyac (March 15, 2006, 10:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'd like to ask the exact same question, but replace Ecco Pro with Zoot or Keynote first. I was really surprised at mouser's comment on Zoot!

And why aren't I getting e-mail notifications about these posts? :(

mouser:
I was really surprised at mouser's comment on Zoot!
--- End quote ---
you mean when i said it looked nice?
i didn't mean literally that it's appearance was nice, but that the feature set on the page seemed nice. :)

And why aren't I getting e-mail notifications about these posts?
--- End quote ---
maybe when we upgraded the forum the notifications got reset?

superboyac:
I'd like to ask the exact same question, but replace Ecco Pro with Zoot or Keynote first. I was really surprised at mouser's comment on Zoot!
--- End quote ---

Well, yes, the interface is totally old-fahsioned, but the functionality is still there.  I'd be interested in your analysis of Zoot, nevf.  I think it will help everyone here understand it from your point of you, that is, the point of view of a programmer who also develops similar software.

I can't think of an alternative to Zoot as far as notetaking, if you limit yourself to simple text, which in my case, is not a big deal, because I barely do any web capturing or anything besides text.  Zoot is excellent because of it's sophistication in organizing text, with the automatic assigning and everything.  I mean, really, what's the alternative for something like that?  I can only think of Evernote, and while it is more polished and has better options for outlining amd web capture, it's organization doesn't have the sophistication of Zoot...I mean, nowhere near it.  But, unfortunately, Zoot is totally old-fashioned, and that's a huge minus against it right now, but I think I'm willing to ignore that because of its underlying funcionality.  Like I said, what's my alternative?

So again, we're left with a handful of software that have some overlapping features, and some unique features in each one.  Zoot is great, if only it was 32-bit and was more modern.  Surfulater is great, but not quite ready for notetaking, nor does it have the organizational power of Zoot or something similar.  Evernote is great, but is limited in it's organizational power, although it is closer to Zoot than Surfulater right now.

As of now, I'm leaning towards Zoot, because I'm primarily text-based, and I can deal with it's shortcomings.  But I really, really wish it had some of the features Surfulater and Evernote has.

rjbull:
I really feel we gotta get out of the whole tree-heirarchy thing.  -superboyac (March 15, 2006, 10:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

Don't forget that originally, Mouser wanted this thread to concentrate specifically on tree-hierarchy programs...
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=2362.msg16164#msg16164

Subtle distinction between Zoot for text and AskSam for documents.  I usually deal with short pieces of text, just a few paragraphs.

Seems to me that ECCO doesn't have a lot of spiritual descendants, in that there aren't very many single-pane outliners around.  Nearly everyone seems to have gone for the two- or occasionally three-pane look, which is a pity.  It would be nice to have a little more choice.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version