ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

General brainstorming for Note-taking software

<< < (13/192) > >>

nevf:
I use a similar, subjective approach - but that's what it's all about, surely? Everyone has different needs and preferences and no one piece of software will please everyone!
-lifeonmars (March 04, 2006, 11:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

Absolutely right.

I was a little disappointed to find that both Surfulator and Mybase are not freeware! Surfulator sounds great. Oh, well.

--- End quote ---

Do you work for free? If so I'd be interested to know how you provide food for you and your family, put a roof over your head, buy petrol for your car, electricity, water, clothes etc. Maybe you are independently wealthy. How about coming to work for free for me, I'm sure I could find something for you to do.

lifeonmars:
I was a little disappointed to find that both Surfulator and Mybase are not freeware! Surfulator sounds great. Oh, well.
-lifeonmars (March 04, 2006, 11:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

Do you work for free? If so I'd be interested to know how you provide food for you and your family, put a roof over your head, buy petrol for your car, electricity, water, clothes etc. Maybe you are independently wealthy. How about coming to work for free for me, I'm sure I could find something for you to do.
-nevf (March 04, 2006, 01:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, I have done voluntary work in the past and I do give my time, knowledge, experience and skills up to help others out on occasion, still. Volunteering is a good way to gain those attributes that will help you to get paid for similar work in the future....

I like the idea that software developers provide basic functional freeware versions of their programs as a kind of marketing "loss-leader". Donation-ware, fine. To make a living you target the people who can/will pay - non-discriminating Joe Public and the commercial business sector. It's really no use marketing payware to the likes of me because I will just look somewhere else for something that works for free. Sorry! :D

superboyac:
Well, I hope we can get this thread back on topic...which is brainstorming for this complicated notetaking genre of software.  I'm sure mouser and other software developers have other threads in the living room section for discussing the issues of shareware/freeware/donationware (which, incidentally, is an extremely interesting topic).

Anyway, since these discussions have proved to be somewhat productive lately (at least to me), I thought that sometime in the future, I'd put together a short summary of some bulletpoints of what most of us are looking for in notetaking software.  I'm sure that will be of some help to both the users and developers.

Perry Mowbray:
Surfulater works this way. There is only ever one physical instance of a 'note', but it can be in as many tree folders as you want.

Surfulater also lets you link related 'notes' together so you build a web of related information. This is very useful.
-nevf (February 28, 2006, 05:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's pretty good: Though I'd like drag&drop enabled on this so that you could simply drag one article on top of another and it would be added to the "See Also" section. That would make it very fast to link your articles together.

I don't see a tight connection between the hierarchical tree and tags (labels, keywords whatever).

Tags are separate organizational method which can be used in a variety of ways. For example you get a list of all tags and selecting one shows all notes which include that tag. Tags could also be used in conjunction with filtered tree views. In this mode the tree would only include notes that included a certain tag or tags. With a good implementation of tags some folks might not even use the tree.

--- End quote ---

In my mind the most flexible method of implementing this would be a FolderType of TagFilter where you could add your tags and/or !tags to the folder query definition and the articles would sort themselves as required.

Then you could have any number of TagFilter folders that would sort your information for you!

Now to add automatic tagging based on content and the display of your information gets very dynamic. Although I'd always want to be able to turn on my Tree View if I wanted  ;)...

Regs,
Perry

kfitting:
Hey pmowbray... are you the same pmowbray from the Tranglos (Keynote) forums?  If so, welcome aboard (if not, welcome aboard anyway!).  I'm kf2 from over there... just remembered the name from the thread about KN2 "database-type" development.

Kevin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version