ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

General brainstorming for Note-taking software

<< < (164/192) > >>

nevf:
@note_artist yes it is quite something for a topic to continue for so long.

For those interested in Surfulater we have just completed a major redevelopment of our web site and support center. You can read more about the new site on our blog post Out with the old and in with the new- new Surfulater site is live

Now it is back to work on the next Surfulater release.

Paul Keith:
Nice redesign nevf. Did you ever fix that issue were Surfulator files weren't syncing well with Dropbox?

I also read something about Free Reader mode. What's that? I haven't really been monitoring the site.

nevf:
Nice redesign nevf. Did you ever fix that issue were Surfulator files weren't syncing well with Dropbox?

I also read something about Free Reader mode. What's that? I haven't really been monitoring the site.
-Paul Keith (July 05, 2010, 04:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hi Keith,
Glad to hear you like the new site.

The only issue I am aware of with Dropbox is where the Dropbox PC software caused a problem for Surfulater. I don't know if the Dropbox people have fixed this. The advisable thing to do is ensure your Knowledge Bases or Surfulater is closed when any Backup software runs. I have looked at most off-site backup services over the years and the only one that has worked well for me is Crashplan. I have this running all the time and have never had a problem with Surfulater running and KB's open.

For info on the Free Reader please see this.

Paul Keith:
Thanks nevf.

I don't have Surfulator (I've always tried to keep an eye on it but haven't taken the plunge) and I forgot the link but someone on DC said something about the files not syncing correctly. I'm not sure if this is the same issue of having to close Surfulator correctly.

J-Mac:
That was probably me, Paul. Also I don’t quite agree that Dropbox is necessarily the problem or the cause. I haven't had similar issues with any other software and Dropbox. Surfulater is extremely slow to close. By that I mean that even after it appears that Surfulater has closed the database is still being used; I think it is creating an autosaved copy and/or backup or something. Whatever it is it prevents Dropbox from gaining exclusive access to sync the file to the server. Many apps do not allow access while they are running, which is understandable. E.g., neither Evernote nor Ultra Recall can sync with the Dropbox server until those apps close and their respective databases are freed up. Those two sync nicely when the app closes. With Surfulater once you close the app Dropbox "grabs" the database to sync it. However Surfulater still tries to autosave or whatever. When it  finds it cannot (because Dropbox is using it) it cause Surfulater to think the database is corrupted. The next time you start Surfulater it says the database is corrupt and directs (suggests?) that the last autosaved file be opened instead. On one occasion Surfulater renamed its database and then couldn't find it the next time it ran. I had to locate it manually and rename it back.

I know Neville disagrees with my explanation, which is really my best guess as to why the problem occurs. But I will say that I also must shut down Surfulater well in advance of rebooting my computer or I get the same database issues. Surfulater's database stays active for from 30 seconds to as long as 90 seconds after closing the application. as long as you remember this and close it in advance you're OK. Except you still have to keep it out of your Dropbox because Dropbox insists on trying to sync the file immediately after it sees the app close, which starts all the troubles mentioned above.

Hope I wasn’t too dense in this post!

Thanks!

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version