ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

General brainstorming for Note-taking software

<< < (156/192) > >>

urlwolf:
Guys,

The more I use wave for notes, the more I realize one thing:
Collaboration is the future, and it's here already.
Writing notes with more people is superior.
Notes to oneself are ok, but one should design for the more general
case, then n=1 is an special case.

Now, office 2010 offers collaboration in real time. Wave does that too.
My prediction is that from 2010 on, everyone will be used to documents
that can be changed in real time by more than one person.

Right now, a notetaker that offers real-time collaboration, and works
fine offline too is the way to go. I think Microsoft oneNote will get there first -they have it working already in their beta-, or someone doing a desktop client for wave.

If the latter, it could be open source and useful in more platforms.

Anyone using wave for notes here?

Dormouse:
I looked at Notezilla and it says "Stay Neat: Organize sticky notes inside folders to avoid clutter on your Windows Desktop." Does that mean I can view stickies within the program window instead of on the desktop?
-rgdot (October 26, 2009, 10:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

You can have hierarchical folders of stickies where each sticky (whatever size you want) is completely visible, or can be on top of each other or moved in whatever arrangement you want. They can easily be moved from one folder to another. Can be on desktop if you prefer.

If you have a lot it is difficult to see them all at the same time even if you have a very big screen.

rgdot:
If my Wave invite makes it (lol) I will attempt to use it for notes (and collaboration) too, even though I am more inclined to use something offline right now.

Downloading Onenote now.

Thank you Dormouse, I will download the Notezilla trial as well.

rgdot:
Side note:
So I go to MS's Onenote page (http://trial.trymicrosoftoffice.com/trialcanada/product.aspx?re_ms=oo&family=onenote&culture=en-CA) and download the Onenote 60 day trial. Now I am getting Windows update prompts for '2007 Microsoft Office Suite Service pack 1', Who says I have 2007 Office installed?  :huh: And 2007 office is not listed as a requirement for Onenote 2007 but maybe it is? then again Onenote seems to be working, at least the few minutes that I have tried it.
I have a fully patched version of Office 2003, may be I should have downloaded Onenote 2003?

Paul Keith:
@rgdot, try Compendium. (Download the alpha release, even the developers recommend it.)

http://compendium.open.ac.uk/institute/download/download.htm

It's what I use for that purpose since I don't like the list look of most notetakers.

The downside is that you won't get as much viewable notes because it's not in a list. (You do have a mini-map view if you press Alt+V + V though)

It's also buggy. (but stable enough)

Everytime you import your backups, all your notes with entry spaces gets destroyed and you get a /n mark per blank space.

For example this post would become:

It's also buggy. (but stable enough)/nEverytime you import your backups.

It does have that hover effect you are looking for though.

Edit: My apologies if I didn't mention it out front. I keep mentioning it in my posts, it was starting to sound redundant.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version