ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

General brainstorming for Note-taking software

<< < (136/192) > >>

urlwolf:
anyone going into a similar quest with notetakers for linux?
I love onenote but I'm planning to move to linux full-time...

Armando:
Wow, interesting quest, urlwolf!

Have you tried http://basket.kde.org/ ?

There's a nice review about it there : http://micrux.net/?p=54

urlwolf:
Here's a quick BasKet review.
The good
Really, really fast.

It has a great tag for 'code'. Unfortunately, no syntax highlighting :(.

Animations for notes (useless, but cool)

Shorcuts assignable to notes

Very good tagging.

Three column mode can be really nice to fit a lot on information on the screen. Good also to compare three things feature-wise.

The Bad
No proper highlighting when searching either. You will not see the yellow words we are so used to see when searching. The filter will remove notes that do not contain the word you look for, but where in the notes is the word? Mostly every other program will tell you. Not basket.

It won't do OCR and find text in pictures like oneNote

It doesn't keep indentation, nor does it do folding. It's not a very good outliner.

No indexing/database

No table support

No spelling

Basket has no developer anymore

It won't keep formatting when copying and pasting from a browser

No autocomplete (I use intellicomplete). Not BasKet fault; there's no such a thing for Linux. But this is key to my productivity

Conclusion

Lots of promise here. Best notetaker for linux I have found. Some features outclass OneNote (so fast). Still, moving to it would make my productivity drop. So I won't do it. THere are rumors that oneNote may work under wine. 
Also, for basket to really work for me it must be able to import from onenote (or any format onenote can output to).

OneNote really is the killer app in windows right now.
That, and the fact that Opera's scroll on linux is pretty bad, whereas it's the best on windows, prevents me from fully switching (I live in a broswer).

Armando:
Thanks for the little review!

That's too bad.

I'm not sure if I'd hold my breath hoping for wine miracles. But who knows. From what I saw, it doesn't seem close to succeed for OneNote 2003, let alone 2007. Although CodeWeavers' wine seemed to be close to work with 2003 :

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=171;forum=1;msg=4420

That was in 2006.

philosopherdog:
Thanx for the feedback on SQLNotes. I'm wondering... is there a quick start guide somewhere? One thing I found difficult right away was the inability to adjust font sizes. It seemed to be defaulting to something too small in the text windows. The thing with Infoselect that's so powerful for me is the ability to set up smart folders that will take any search strings, and I just add tag words to text items, and it filter them into a folder. This is the same basic functionality that Evernote has. It will also allow automatically filtering based on keywords that you set using boolean operators. So, I can just dump a big word research note document into Infoselect and break it up into card sized chunks of info by tagging it with two dashes, and then filter however I wish using keywords. If I could get SQLNotes up and running with this sort of simple filtering I'd love to have a look at it. Is this difficult to do? Can you breakup text items easily or join them easily? The other thing I noticed was the inability to just import a .doc file. I gather this will be added soon. I'm certainly looking forward to the release of this program. It sounds like it might be that legendary program we're all waiting for. From what I understand Devonthink is such a program in the Mac world, but I've never actually worked with it. So far I think InfoSelect is definitely the most powerful thing I've seen. I think it's true that synching is poor and it's not pretty, but it's bloody powerful. I was going to also thank you for the Evernotes tip. I do like EN, but somehow it seems too crude for serious research writing. I'd love to hear how you use SQLNotes for research. If the details are too much for the list we can always take it to email or chat. I concur that Endnote is amazing, and I'm using it. Thanx for your post.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version