ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

General brainstorming for Note-taking software

<< < (116/192) > >>

tomos:
Zoot's organization features are so powerful, no other program offers it.  It's automatic rules, filtering, categorizing, etc is really great (I would liken it to a really powerful email filtering system).  Evernote is doing a decent job in this area, but once Zoot is finished in the 32-bit version, Evernote will just be eye-candy.-superboyac (July 30, 2007, 11:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

sounds great, expensive though, innit?! ($99)

superboyac:
Yes, it sure is.  I think people who use it heavily will say it's well worth it, but Zoot will have a hard time prying people away from other programs with that kind of price tag.  Evernote 2.0 is very (almost eerily) similar to Zoot in it's look and function, and it's free.  However, Evernote is not nearly as powerful as Zoot.  So, as a user, you will have to decide if the additional poweruser features are worth the extra $100 (EN is basically free unless you want the text recognition features).  I posted in Zoot's forum about this and told them that the price is going to have to be considered because of Evernote.  I'm guessing the author will ignore the price issue (maybe even increase the price).  On one hand, I'm sure the Zoot cult will have no problem with the price or the upgrade fee.  however, I feel if he were to make the price more competitive with Evernote ($30-50 range) he would attract enough additional customers to make it worth it.

Hopefully, we can get a good discount here at DC! 

alxwz:
A discount here at DC would be a dream come true.

Tom Davis seems to be rolling out a new beta every other day now.
Unfortunately, I don't have any spare time ATM to play with it  :(

Armando:
@tomos

Normally, you'd write " monitor ", with spaces and quotes. But that particular syntaxic feature has been broken in the newest release. i've posted about it at the everNote forum. I got some answers, but nothing from the developers. (There are other advanced syntax trics you can read about in the help file, and others you won't even find in the help file -- for these you have to search the forum. Have you been to the EverNote Forum? Tons of good advices there.)

One way of dealing more efficiently with categories is to use special keyword filters. Not actual words, but abbreviations you make up yourself.

@Superboyac

How does the Zoot 32-bits deal with graphics ? Evernote is/was much stronger in this area. Graphics are not that much of a big deal for me, but we live in 2007.

"Organizationwise" we'd need something like "Zoot meets X1", but for the whole file system.

superboyac:
@Superboyac

How does the Zoot 32-bits deal with graphics ? Evernote is/was much stronger in this area. Graphics are not that much of a big deal for me, but we live in 2007.

"Organizationwise" we'd need something like "Zoot meets X1", but for the whole file system.
-Armando (July 30, 2007, 04:58 PM)
--- End quote ---
Zoot32 doesn't deal any differently with graphics than Zoot16 (yet).  In other words, there is no graphics functionality other than linking to a graphic file.  I want to emphasize that at this point, there are no tangible differences between Zoot32 and Zoot16 other than the underlying base being 32-bit instead of 16-bit, which is ultimately transparent to the user.  The author has only mentioned RTF support as an added functionality in the works for later beta versions.

Yes, Evernote does images and other pretty things better than Zoot.  Zoot is a hardcore text-based application.  EverNote is much more geared toward a general class of users that need a wide variety of text, formatted text, webclips, images, etc. support.  Zoot is for people who have an enormous amount of text they need to organized in a pretty uniquely powerful manner.

Zoot meets X1 is nice to think about, but don't bet on it.  I don't think Zoot will be an indexer of any type in the near future.  I like Archivarius for indexing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version