ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

General brainstorming for Note-taking software

<< < (66/192) > >>

kfitting:
Just thought I'd throw out a suggestion for MyInfo again... just taking another look at it tonight and it's quite powerful.  It's "tree pane" now offers customizable columns (text, date/time, pop-up list, etc) as well as default tags and comments columns, plus it's editor is quite functional.  Play around... there are a few rough edges but this is very promising!  (note: based on the TRichView component)

Kevin

urlwolf:
MyInfo looks nice.
It doesn't have a forum with a developer that responds to user queries fast, and/or a plugin system, which are two of the things that I now look for before I give new software a try.

Two other things that I'd love to have in an application like this:
   tab completion
   one key searches, with highlighting of all occurrences and one key to jump to next/previous

This is why I like vim.

urlwolf:
Tagging is a very interesting concept (seems well implemented in MyInfo). But, I wonder how fast and efficiently one can tag all notes. Ideally all should be done with keyboard shortcuts, otherwise tagging may be too much of a chore.

Which makes me think...

In a simple text file, everything is a tag! One can do a simple text search and avoid the pain of tagging implemented as a different concept.

Example, in my notes I have: IdeaGTD, ideaPost, ideaPodcast, etc. for ideas. tab completion makes it easy to tag things this way. If there's need for a non-text element, such as sound or an external file of some kind, a file:// url would do the trick.

Just thinking outloud...

urlwolf:
problem with the file:// idea in plain text is portability (something rjbull was worried about). Hmm. Not such a good idea.

Is there any program of those you tried that works with voice notes (i.e., one can attach a wav/mp3 file and the program would play it?

kfitting:
urlwolf:  I was just playing around with MyInfo tags (I hadnt prior to my previous post!) and the Myinfo interface is an interesting one.  You add a couple tags to one "document" and those tags are immediately able to be chose (drop-down) by other documents in that file.  Once tags have been added, you mouse-over the tag and select one and the filter immediately shows documents with that tag.  Like I said, interesting.  Have to see how it works in practice.

I agree that tags need to be able to be assigned, but I slightly disagree.  To bring order to a non-ordered system some amount of effort must be put forth!  Order cant just happen (well, meaningful order anyway).  But, I know what you mean.  If it tags 20 mouse-clicks to add a tag, that's overkill. 

MyInfo isnt perfect... but it does have an interesting way of handling some of the problems mentioned in this thread.

Kevin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version