ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

General brainstorming for Note-taking software

<< < (60/192) > >>

thomthowolf:
The for-pay version of Evernote has OCR built in.  They say it's for handwriting recognition, and support various pen input devices; no immediately obvious mention of scanners.
--- End quote ---

I didn't read the whole manual, but searching on scanner, TWAIN, and OCR gave no results, and use of scanner as an input option isn't listed. I don't actually care much about OCR, but do care about scanning articles, etc.
-longrun (July 06, 2006, 10:48 AM)
--- End quote ---
You might want to take a look at the user forum.  I know this link
http://forum.evernote.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1549&highlight=scannerwill take you to a method of using a scanner with evernote.
That said, you may want to look at the announcements section of the forum. There you will see this sad news
Michael Lunsford has recently accepted the offer from another company and will leave EverNote Corporation by the end of this week.

As a VP of Product Management, Michael was instrumental in shaping the EverNote's product line to make all applications more user-friendly. He also set up a high standard in customer's support and showed us all what a real customer care is about.

We shall all miss Michael and wish him success in his new role.
--- End quote ---
Micheal's (known to this forum as evermike) departure does not fill me with confidence in the ongoing development of this product.   :(

thomthowolf:
Just to keep everyone updated here, I have just finished writing the first official roundup of this thread. 
-superboyac (July 05, 2006, 05:05 PM)
--- End quote ---
This sounds wonderful.  When can we see it?

Carol Haynes:
The only ref. to scanner/OCR is made in the future tense (by third quarter this year seems likely) but it will make this a really good app. You can use a scanner now to drop files in an auto-import folder but they are collected as images, not OCRed.

longrun:
Thanks for the research. Evernote's scanning ability is extremely limited. I doubt that multipage documents are supported; items imported from the Import folder are automatically deleted; and so on. Any program I'd be interested in would fully support scanning, viewing, and filing documents of all types.

I do appreciate the help, however.

Carol Haynes:
They have said that the Import folder is a bit of a kludge at the moment while they get scanning sorted and have promised OCR soon. (I'm not particularly up on how Evernote works as I only really started playing with it yesterday but so far I am very impressed with what I have seen). As for multipage documents it doesn't really work on pages at all - there is a continues roll of 'paper' on which to put notes, so there is no real reason why 'multipage' can't be stored as a single note or a sequence of notes.

The ability to produce your own classification system based on categories is also really good - and could be used to ensure that relates 'pages' are found together.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version