ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: right-click to display geotagged image on map

<< < (2/5) > >>

skwire:
You pick one - I'm not going to ask for any 'scope creep' when you're doing this as a quickie favour! :-)
-gtoal (July 31, 2010, 02:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's your software so feel free to choose the one you like.  Either one is the same work to implement (which is to say, hardly any work at all).    :D

skwire:
Alternately, I could pop up a little GUI that would offer buttons to allow you to choose either of them.  Your call.

gtoal:
You pick one - I'm not going to ask for any 'scope creep' when you're doing this as a quickie favour! :-)
-gtoal (July 31, 2010, 02:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's your software so feel free to chose the one you like.  Either one is the same work to implement (which is to say, hardly any work at all).    :D
-skwire (August 02, 2010, 10:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, for the sake of simplicity I'll pick the plain Google version (one less click to get to the map).

(The 'scope creep' option I had at the back of my mind was a registry entry which if present would be used in preference to the default URL format string - which would also add a little future-proofing in case Google changed their URL.)

Graham

skwire:
Any preference on the context menu entry text?  

gtoal:
Any preference on the context menu entry text? 
-skwire (August 03, 2010, 01:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

Assuming the context menu only shows for jpegs (.jpg and .jpeg, i.e. we don't need to put the word "photo" or "picture" in the text to explain what we're geolocating), then simply "Geolocate" would be enough. I was in two minds about something in more plain English such as "Locate on map" but with all those other services available at the geohacks site, such as finding photographs taken nearby, it might not always be as simple as placing it on a map; whereas 'geolocate' is vague enough to cover all the options.

I don't expect the right-click menu to know in advance whether an image has a geo tag or not, that's too fancy and I doubt it's even possible.

If there's no latlon info in the file, will you be putting up an error box, or just bringing up a map with no pointers placed?  (If there's a choice I think I'd prefer an error box but whatever is easiest...)

thanks,

Graham

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version