ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Synchronizing a few folders between two machines?

(1/12) > >>

Jibz:
I have a couple of folders (one with a lot of images and one with some documents), that I would like to have duplicated on another machine on the LAN. They are not updated that often, so there is no need for any fancy real-time cooperation stuff, I just want them to be synchronized maybe once a day or even once a week.

I've looked at SFSS which has been discussed a lot here, but it does look like it's probably overkill?

Any recommendations on easy ways to achieve this?

nosh:
I use Microsoft's SyncToy for this. I haven't updated to the latest version but the one I use [1.4.0.0] doesn't have any scheduling capability, so you'll have to use Task Scheduler or some other app for scheduling.

jazper:
I use dropbox for folder syncing between multiple computers.  Works great in my opinion.  They have a free 2gb account but can be upgraded to a larger amount for a price.

(Note: FYI, that is a referral link, don't want to seem shady)

Jibz:
I use Microsoft's SyncToy for this.-nosh (July 29, 2010, 11:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

That might be an option. I would have to set up shared folders for that to work though wouldn't I?

I use dropbox for folder syncing between multiple computers.  Works great in my opinion.  They have a free 2gb account but can be upgraded to a larger amount for a price.-jazper (July 29, 2010, 12:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

One of the folders is 10 GB so at least the free account is not an option. I don't really want to have to upload to some remote server to do sync between two local computers either, that seems like a waste of bandwidth.

wraith808:
One of the folders is 10 GB so at least the free account is not an option. I don't really want to have to upload to some remote server to do sync between two local computers either, that seems like a waste of bandwidth.
-Jibz (July 29, 2010, 12:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

Dropbox has an option to sync to local computers via lan.

Synchronizing a few folders between two machines?

Doesn't solve the other problem, but just wanted to point that out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version