ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

lap top cooling pad

<< < (3/5) > >>

Cpilot:
Funny you should bring this up.
I wrote a little tray app for the heck of it that sits in the tray and monitors the CPU temperature using the MSAcpi_ThermalZoneTemperature wmi and displays it in a tool-tip along with the critical trip point temp.
You can choose degrees Fahrenheit or Celsius.
MSAcpi_ThermalZoneTemperature is supported on all machines but not all cpu's have a temperature sensor.
So it may not work on some computers.
There's no error checking basically because I wrote it for myself, I've been using it for over a month on my WinXP SP3 just to see how it does.
But I intend to get to that and add the option of displaying the temp in the system tray.
Anyway, if anyone would like to try it out and let me know how it works I would appreciate it.
If it's something folks would like to have I'll enhance it.
Source is included.

app103:
wondering if she were to slide a baking tray under there, if she could bake cookies with it.  :D
-app103 (July 29, 2010, 05:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

If nothing else, you'll save yourself $30: http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/ezbake.shtml

-mwb1100 (July 29, 2010, 08:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

barney:
If nothing else, you'll save yourself $30: http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/ezbake.shtml
--- End quote ---
I want one!  Conquering hunger, one nacho at a time.

But I'd have to get a new box to hold it  :o.

MerleOne:

My daughter has an enormous beast of a laptop containing a desktop processor (HP NX9600). It's a desktop replacement model with a full sized keyboard w/numeric keypad. And it runs very hot, too hot to use as an actual laptop without cooking yourself.

Someone bought her a cooling pad for it, but it's too small and the fan in it spins in the wrong direction, causing the laptop to run hotter than without it.

So my daughter keeps it on her desk, elevated with 4 empty tuna fish cans, wondering if she were to slide a baking tray under there, if she could bake cookies with it.  :D
-app103 (July 29, 2010, 05:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

I have a Zalman Cooling pad used under a Dell Laptop 1536 or something that had T° issues (CPU gettings as hot as 80° Celsius).  Since the cooling pad, no more brutal poweroff and T° never goes above 70°C, average being 50-60 °C.  Still hot but working so far.

OldElmerFudd:
My laptop doesn't run all the time, so I elected to use a passive Targus folding desk than can be used either in your lap or folded to prop the laptop. The angle is perfect for me and enough air circulates underneath to keep the machine cool.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5210385&CatId=3486

If you run your laptop longer every day, I'd suggest getting an AC adapter powered pad to avoid possibly burning out a USB  port.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version