ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Firefox Tab Candy will change the way I use a browser for good

<< < (7/10) > >>

cmpm:
I use FoxTab and SpeedDial as well as my bookmarks bar for navigation.

FoxTab can scroll open tabs and/or show them all,
depending on how you set the options.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/8879/

daddydave:
Open multiple dials at once. (and the first improvement would actually enable the second one through middle click as mentioned earlier, but it would be good to be able to do it from the Speed Dial group page as well)
-daddydave (July 30, 2010, 01:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

I was wrong. Speed Dial does in fact do this. If you right click on a speed dial group tab, one of the choices is "Open All In New Tabs"

Still don't understand the necessity (implied by Tab Candy) of keeping a bunch of tabs open if you are not actively using them. Trying to figure out who App Tabs is for, too. I did actually download the Tab Candy build but haven't gotten around to watching the video and was looking for a document on it but then kind of lost interest.

Oh wait, I did watch the video. I guess I need to rewatch it. And there's a walkthrough on that page I didn't see before.

f0dder:
Dunno if Tab Candy necessarily keeps tabs *open* when not using them, but it wouldn't need to do that in order to do some of it's nice features... having the overview and grouping is imho super useful.

daddydave:
Dunno if Tab Candy necessarily keeps tabs *open* when not using them, but it wouldn't need to do that in order to do some of it's nice features... having the overview and grouping is imho super useful.
-f0dder (August 10, 2010, 01:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah but you already have overview and grouping. I thought the whole point of Tab Candy was to manage open tabs.

jojo99:
Looks like they are building a whole new UI for tab management, rather than fixing the mess they originally created.

I typically have around 50 tabs loaded.  Using TabMix Plus, I have them on the bottom of the browser in rows of 8.  Then I use this auto tab bar hide CSS styple (http://userstyles.org/styles/4435) so that the tab bar is out of the way.  I modified the script so that 100 pixels of the tab bar show, which just seems to look better to me.  And I recently started using an add-on called Bartab (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/67651/) that doesn't load tabs until you use them (which saves memory).

I also make groups manually by copying the tabs I want to group into a new browser window and then doing a "Save all tabs" under Bookmarks menu entry.  It would be great if TMP would allow say Ctrl-Select for specific tabs and create a group that way.   Group support requests have been made to the author of TMP but he doesn't seem to want to be bothered with coding it.

The way Tabcandy creates groups is nice (drag & drop).  But I still question the need for a new UI to manage this.  Seems to be over-complex to me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version