ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Firefox Tab Candy will change the way I use a browser for good

<< < (5/10) > >>

daddydave:

edit:
think i might have just been thinking of this instead, so not exactly like IE colours to be honest: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/8004/
-nudone (July 30, 2010, 10:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, I think I tried all the well-known tab coloring extensions, and none of them had automatic groups the way IE8 does it that I could tell, the closest thing I found (before finding Vista-Aero) was something that groups tabs by domain, which isn't what I wanted. And Vista-Aero does exactly what I want, but since it is a theme instead of an add-on, it is a bit limiting if you don't really want Firefox to look like IE.

daddydave:
nor did it work well alongside TMP - which i have colouring my tabs by current, read, unread (which i now think is actually better than the IE colouring method).
-nudone (July 30, 2010, 10:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

If this is (ever) done right, the current tab and unread tabs are still obvious (I think IE8 uses a lighter shade of the group color). And unread tabs have red italics going for them (in TMP by default, maybe even in Firefox default or at least an about:config setting).

nudone:
i didn't realise IE used different shades for read and unread. hmm, i did want my FF tabs to behave like IE tabs - now you've said that they using shading i want them again.

i don't really understand why there isn't an extension to do it in FF, there must be a lot of demand for it.

i'm going to check out this Vista-Aero thing anyway...

f0dder:
nudone: those extensions combined might give some of the benefits of TabCandy, but it looks clunky in comparison... I generally perform function over form, but in some cases (and I believe TC to be one) form is part of the functionality. Your example screenshot doesn't make it easy to locate your tabs of interest visually, and it lacks the tab grouping, which is one of the primary points of interest for me :)

nudone:
umm, i've just realised what you mean. what i did doesn't have any use for currently opened tabs. oh well, i thought i'd found something - seems not.

just looking at this Vista-Aero thing. looks interesting - will install it now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version