ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Whoa, this gal hates MS Office 2010 -- 5 Reasons Why You Don't Need It

<< < (2/10) > >>

Perry Mowbray:
I could be with both of you... but I've never used the ribbon -- but it's showing up in other applications now too. I certainly don't have anything against it per se, and my basic instincts are not entirely happy when people refuse to adapt. But as I say, I've not tried it (at work we're still many years behind).

40hz:
+1 for Softperfect Softmaker (see next comment) Office if you need easy no-brainer file compatibility or a decent spreadsheet alternative. If you just need wordprocessing there are several very good alternatives available that won't require you to get involved with heavy horses such as OpenOffice or Symphony.

I personally think Microsoft's move to discontinue upgrade pricing is yet another example of the recent trend of lowering customer expectations some big companies are starting to engage in. The new message (data caps, no free anything anymore, usage restrictions, gag clauses) is: Don't expect too much - and be grateful for what you do get.

It's worked for banks for years. And it depends on the power of inertia. Basically you make it such a real or imagined hassle to switch what you're using that the average person won't. That's why people very reluctantly change banks no matter how expensive the fees or how shoddy their service. It's also why all the perks and deals are only offered to new customers.

Sad state of affairs.

And these same American businesses wonder why the rest of the world is starting to look elsewhere?

tomos:
+1 for Softperfect Office
-40hz (July 23, 2010, 09:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

I presume that's +1 for SoftMaker Office . . .

And these same American businesses wonder why the rest of the world is starting to look elsewhere?
-40hz (July 23, 2010, 09:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

hopefully rest of world will keep them on their toes (eventually)

40hz:
^ yes it is.

I have never been able to get that name straight.  :-[

Thx for pointing it out. :Thmbsup:

Lutz_:
The ribbon offers several buttons that are bigger than before - wow!; it also asks you to find more detailed tools behind some rather clumsy and non-intuitive folding out menu structures etc..  
Overall it only looks good. It does not save any time and requires more mouse clicks than than the standard interface for most tasks - for me.
The ribbon is change but unfortunately no progress. Consequently, I also purchased the "classical interface" add on for my work PC.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version