topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 6:35 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Issue with ScreenCaptor images on WordPress.com  (Read 3428 times)

ranh

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Issue with ScreenCaptor images on WordPress.com
« on: July 21, 2010, 10:21 AM »
Here is a message from a WordPress.com developer regarding uploading images from ScreenShot captor:

The screen capture program, ScreenshotCaptor.exe adds it’s executable name to the image metadata in the header which makes it look like there may be an embedded exe file in the image – a common way to distribute viruses. We therefore block the serving of such an image. When we resize the image, that metadata gets stripped, so the image serving works.

Is there a way to override this in the settings?

If it's commonly considered a security risk, won't it better to avoid this altogether?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Issue with ScreenCaptor images on WordPress.com
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 10:45 AM »
Where is the reference to this post?  I use wordpress also for a couple of blogs, and don't have this problem, so that's the reason that I ask.  The developer will surely respond soon, so you'll get a response directly on the issue, I'm sure.

Thanks!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Issue with ScreenCaptor images on WordPress.com
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 10:47 AM »
i've never heard of such a warning.

also, screenshot captor does not add it's executable name to the image meta data as far as i can remember, but it DOES by default add the name of the executable that was being captured from, which sounds like what they must be talking about.

you can see that in the "comment" area under the screenshot.

however it's very simple to modify that to not store anything, or store just what you want, just go to the "File Naming Template" tab in options and change the "Default Comment":

Screenshot - 7_21_2010 , 10_46_41 AM.png