ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Circle Dock

Change of Licensing from Version 2 (Cancelled)

(1/21) > >>

Markham:
We will shortly be launching Circle Dock Version 2 and with it a new License Agreement.

Up to now, all versions of Circle Dock have been made with no charge to you, the end-user, as "Donation-Ware" - meaning that if you like the software and use it regularly, you were encouraged to help in its development by means of a donation. Unfortunately very few of you have donated - indeed we have received more donations from non-users than from users of Circle Dock. We have costs to meet in order to continue to develop and support Circle Dock and therefore, regrettably, we have to change the way in which Circle Dock is licensed.

If you are a private user and have no more than two copies of Circle Dock installed and they are installed on computers that you personally own, then you may continue to use all versions of Circle Dock as "Donation-Ware". However, two minor restrictions will apply:

* Kiosk Mode will cease to be available to you. This Mode was primarily introduced for corporate usage anyway.
* Product Support will only be provided via this Forum.
If you use Circle Dock in a commercial organisation or wish to have more than two copies installed or, indeed, require the Kiosk Mode functionality, then you will have to apply for a commercial license via the new Circle Dock web site which will go "live" on the same day as version 2 is released. Commercial Licensees will have the benefit of:

* Kiosk Mode functionality
* Ability to report bugs and request new features via our Tracker
* Enjoy email support
* Enjoy priority for new feature consideration
We fully appreciate that this change will not be universally popular and if you are unhappy about it, I would ask you to remember that, like you, we live in the real world and have to pay for development tools, the hosting of our new web site, etc., and these all cost money.

Team Circle Dock

daddydave:
No news is probably good news, I can't imagine anyone having a problem with it, it's still a very generous license.

f0dder:
IMHO it's a decent enough license, and I only think it's fair paying for software if it's helping you make money. The only slightly dubious thing about this is that the current CircleDock is based on Eric Wong's original code.

Rigel:
If you are a private user and have no more than two copies of Circle Dock installed and they are installed on computers that you personally own, then you may continue to use all versions of Circle Dock as "Donation-Ware"....
-Markham (July 20, 2010, 04:59 AM)
--- End quote ---
I return after some time and I find bad news.
I don't understand why a limit on how many copies we have. Now I use 6 copies of CD because it's too slow to navigate in its folders so I have a CD for each topic: games, app, programming, personal, doc ... and others for my girlfriend.
Mark, I know you've always been against my idea, but block it in this way it's not right, limit of copies on one account is a nonsense.
Furthermore there are other way to have money without commercial license (example: with sponsor) and thousand of great application are totally free and the core of CD is an Erik property and he give is code to community for free, also to you.
If one of us use Erik core for an other CD developing the name CircleDock is free and usable so I hope you change the name and leave free CircleDock to community.
However I will never use the new version so your limit will be useless.
Vary bad idea.

Archon of Fate:
I have to agree with Rigel on this one it just seems wrong to limit copies of CD per account. this is also based on Erik's code so I'm not sure if you can charge for it anyway...  :tellme:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version