ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

GlassPrompt 1.1

<< < (4/7) > >>

MilesAhead:
Thanks for the info. :)

MilesAhead:
Updated GlassPrompt download. I reimplemented it using vc++.  The executable is Glass.exe.  Now it accepts a /c command line switch to force the prompt window to the center of the desktop work area. I just got tired of the thing opening at a random position. :)

There's no command line switch to change the starting directory but you can accomplish the same thing using a shortcut's Start In field as noted in the Readme.

Enjoy.

Stoic Joker:
A transparent Command Prompt - I have no idea what to do with it - But it's just to cool to not find a use for.

Now here's a question: can it launch a transparent administrator command prompt? Seems like I fought with something like that awhile back - I'll send you the code I ended up with if you like.

MilesAhead:
My user account is in admin group anyway.  So launching cmd.exe for me is an administrator command prompt. In fact if I don't change the caption to GlassPrompt, on my machine it says "Administrator: C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe - cmd"

Feel free to post a snippet though. I'll post the latest c++ source I used if anyone wants to put them together.  Guess I'm old school. I don't mess with all that UAC and sub user accounts. If I need to use a prophylactic I run whatever Sandboxed.

I've mentioned it before but the set up I liked in Windows was NT Server 4.0. If you made a user account in the System Operator's group, you could install programs, register .ocx etc.. but not delete system files.  It was a happy medium I thought.  A regular user account on Windows I don't consider worth the effort of creating. Windows Seven may have improved on it but I haven't bothered to check it out.  One thing I hate is having to remember what flavor of Windows I'm booted into. That's why I use little utilities. To work the same on everything as much as possible.

btw the command prompt only comes out looking cool if the default black background is used. Unfortunately the Blur Behind effect looks like crap otherwise. I'm hoping Windows8 comes out with easy ways to draw on glass. Right now it's more complex than the rest of the program, at least for my small utils. I'm hoping it gets back to sanity soon.  In c# at least the buttons will draw correctly if you do Application.SetCompatibleTextRenderingDefault(true);
in Program.cs.  That's the main reason I did IniEdit in c#.  At least I wouldn't have to owner draw the buttons in the Glass. :)

edit: btw I also have a PromptHere utility that optionally uses a blurred prompt if Glass is enabled. It has a bit more utility as you can highlight one or more folders in Explorer, then hit the hotkey to open a prompt with each as current directory.  But it has to sit in the tray.  This app just launches the prompt and dies.

edit2: according to UAC entry in Wiki, there's now a "runas" verb for ShellExecute().

f0dder:
If you start GlassPrompt elevated, won't it's automatically start the cmd.exe process with admin privs as well?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version