ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Some initial reflections on using an ebook reader

<< < (5/8) > >>

phitsc:
There's no chance I could read a book in 14 days. Well, maybe if I ditched my Playstation ;)

Concerning book availability: when, a few months ago, I was checking if any of the books I had just read were available for the Kindle, actually none of them were (and some of them were not even new titles). Now, a few months later, most of them are. Well, most of the English ones anyway.

JavaJones:
Tranglos, the limitations on sales of ebooks/audiobooks to non-US customers probably isn't an Amazon thing; I'd bet they'd be more than happy to sell you as many books as possible. :D More likely it's a publisher limitation. I agree it's stupid though.

- Oshyan

jshelagh:
Dear Mouser
I was very interested in your comments about the ereader. Thank you for sharing.
I am going blind, do you think it would be suitable from someone with limited sight?

Could you please tell me if you know of something that will read
to me from the computer. There is something called Dragon,
but it is fearfully expensive!!
warmest greetings from Scotland

mouser:
The amazon kindle actually has a built in voice reading feature that will read what you see on the screen out loud to you, and has earphone jack too.  it seems to work quite well.

As far as it being useful for limited site -- one of the main advantages of these ebook readers, and the kindle in particular, is that you can zoom the font size to be very large.  so i think that would be quite useful for someone who can still see but has a hard time with small print.

thomthowolf:
I have a sony reader I got for Xmas, and I really love it.  I am a heavy fiction reader, and I travel, and I discovered that I can move to a smaller suitcase since I can carry all my reading material in a single small device in my carry on bag.  (although, I am a little distressed to discover that I can't use it during take offs and landings, even though it has no wireless component at all. ) Also, since I can dump PDF files on it, I carry all my meeting notes on it as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version