ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Flicks that struck you as odd or different in a good way?

<< < (2/5) > >>

Paul Keith:
Not sure I would call Speed Racer the movie a homage. It barely had the feel of the original and there was no car-fu.

A satire true. I would even go as far as call it a parody but homage... well I'm just pointing this out to show the complexity of saying odd or different.

Personally I think there are tons of movies people can consider odd but may not appeal and be considered crud or silly by majority of people.

Again, personally instead of a list - I would refer people to three directors: "classic" David Cronenberg, Takahashi Miike and Ed Wood.

These three guys in my opinion hold the mainstream sanity line for odd and different vs. approachable movies. That is, if you find the movies by these directors as "not odd" but "normal" then you're probably ready for the odd stuff like The Holy Moutain

That said many of these are still hit or miss. For example I couldn't sit through The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser by Werner Herzog no matter how revolutionary of a director he was and with that one movie I decided I wasn't going to like his other movies because of so much praise for that movie.

MilesAhead:
Another one that I can watch over and over is Shaolin Soccer

This flick got me hooked on Stephen Chow films. I think it's still his best work. Total genius.

edit: but you have to make sure you watch the 112 minute version.  There's a shorter version out there.  This version eviscerates the film by cutting out the entire funny sequence when Vicki Zhao Wei shows off her make-over. There are some other differences that change the whole gist of the film afa motivation and character development.  Looking on Net Flix it seems the one they have is the 87 minute crap version.

However I believe the good cut was used for the BluRay.

This film gets to me right from the intro with the homage to 2001: A Space Odyssey
(another of my all-time favorites.)

MilesAhead:
The most amusing flick I've seen in awhile is District 9

Marrying the boss's daughter does have its perils.

-MilesAhead (July 14, 2010, 07:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ou yeah, specially if daddy is some kind of capo di tutti capi :D

-Emma Morales (July 15, 2010, 04:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

'ayyyyyyyyy, sometimes ya' gadda' do whut ya' gadda' do!!

40hz:
In Bruges...

The Irish hit-men Ken and Ray are sent by the Londoner mobster Harry Waters to the medieval Belgium city of Bruges in Christmas after an awry job in a London church.
--- End quote ---

It's got: murdered priests, contract killers, drugs, Dutch prostitutes, anarchist little people, skinheads, a movie crew, eye injuries, sexy girls, philosophical mobsters, Canadians - and the charming city of Bruges during Yuletide! What more could you possibly want?

Violent, twisted, brutal - yet hysterically funny and somehow oddly...endearing.

I'm generally not a fan of crime movies unless they're complex capers like The Score or Inside Man. But I really liked this film. I don't know how director Martin McDonagh managed to pull it off, but you come away from this picture liking every character in the story - with the possible exception of an obnoxious ticket taker and a couple of yuppie tourists.

This film is a contradiction in terms. It's a "feel good movie" about very bad things.

- and -

Once

A week in the life of an unnamed Dublin street busker (and vacuum repairman); and an unnamed Czech immigrant (and sometime pianist). One of the few truly intelligent and believable romance stories - with a very unique ending.

Like Chinatown, the full meaning of the film's title only becomes apparent at the end of the picture.

My GF ordered it on a lark from NetFlix, expecting it to be some lightweight indie "chick flick" we could watch when we weren't up for anything too thought-provoking or heavy.

To our surprise it turned out to be one of the better movies we've seen in the last year.  :Thmbsup:

MilesAhead:
Men Who Stare At Goats

Since Starman I guess I get sucked into quirky [url=http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000313/[/url]Jeff Bridges films.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version