ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Recommend collaboration software (over internet, offline or online)

<< < (4/5) > >>

superboyac:
OK I am having a hard time understand things about Onenote, Windows Live, Sharepoint, and whatever else goes into trying to share Onenote online.  If anyone can explain it in simple terms, please do.  I've googled around quite a bit and tried finding something easy to understand, but haven't found anything.

Goal:
Share a Onenote notebook online.  I want to access the notebook from the web directly, even if Onenote isn't installed on the computer.  So that means I'm not simply looking to sync a notebook.  I actually want the application available through the web.

I've heard I can use Office Online or Windows Live or something.  I haven't tried it yet, but I probably will very soon.  it sounds like Windows Live would be hosting the site, however.  I'd prefer that the site was hosted independently, let's say on the same server my website is currently on ( dcmembers).  This is the part where I'm confused.  I don't think it's that easy.  Would Sharepoint or something need to be installed on the DC servers?  If so, that sounds like it would be out of the questions since I doubt Sharepoint is running here on DC.  But if Windows Live works well, that would be fine.  What's even better is that I can do all my editing directly on my Onenote local installation, and sync it to the web.  The important thing is being able to read the information.  What's less important is being able to edit online. Again, there's only two people involved, and I'll be doing 99% of the editing most likely.

I want this because I really like Onenote's ability to just plop in information and move it around here or there.  It's brilliant.  It's like a whiteboard with little clumps of text, pictures, video, etc. around everywhere.

superboyac:
Ugh...Office Online using Windows Live doesn't work so well.  Not nice at all.  I'm disappointed.

Perhaps Evernote Web is going to be the way to go.  I hate moving to cloud computing without having control on where the information is stored, but in this case, it may be perfect.  Zaine!!  I may be putting one foot into your world!

I've stuck with the old Evernote standalone 2.2 client for a long time now.  I don't use it much anymore, though, since I've moved to InfoQube for most of my information storage.  I still use Onenote for a whiteboard...and that's about it.  Evernote Web...sigh...ok, I'll give it a go.

[edit]
Evernote v3 is quite nice, I have to admit.  I still don't like the idea of cloud computing in general, but it's necessary in this case (collaboration).  And Evernote does a great job with it.  I think I have found my solution, this is going to work great.  It's easy to get the content in there, very easy.  And it can be accessible to my Apple friendly buddy.  How nice.  Goodbye twiki.  Man, I didn't realize how hairy wiki's are.  They are NOT easy to use at all.

Speaking of which, I still feel there is a huge market out there for the kind of website creation that marek talked about here a while ago.  An easy way to organize content.  Take the wordpress model for blogs and apply it more generally to basic content management, and really focus on file organization and stuff.  I think that's what I keep returning to.  Wordpress is getting better and better at that, however...

superboyac:
Evernote 3 is very nice.  That is my solution.

There is only one thing I don't like about Evernote: you have to use their servers to host all the collaboration.  If they made it available as a separate download (the server stuff), we could install it on our own servers.  but then they would probably lose out on their subscription revenue.  It's nice that they offer a free version, but it would be awesome if they allowed you to host your own.  It would be a brilliant collaboration tool.  Still, minor nitpick...the way it is is really nice.  i doubt I'll add enough notes to go over the 40 MB a month limit.

You know, that's my only problem with cloud computing.  I like the idea of cloud computing, but they should all give the option to install the server side software on your own servers.  Then the revolution really begins!  I've just now pinpointed what I don't like about cloud computing...because most of them HAVE to host your information.  There's no other choice.  Now, with gmail, for instance, they host it but they also offer free POP access, so that's a good solution also.  But for all these other ones, they should have a server side software download, like Wordpress, the various wikis, etc.

But their business models must heavily rely on the subscription part.  Because it allows them to charge a monthly fee, which is where the real money is.  If they allowed the download, it would turn into a normal shareware model...you pay for it once and you can use it forever on your own server.

Sorry for blabbing, but this was just a mini-epiphany for me.

superboyac:
So, I'm back to using Evernote after not using it for a couple of years.  They have a really strange way of doing updates.  They went from version 3.1 to 3.5.  You would think that everything in 3.1 would be in 3.5, but NO.  In 3.1 you can import your old v2.2 database just fine.  In 3.5, you can't do that yet.  That's weird.  Also, the interface was completely overhauled between 3.1 and 3.5, which is also strange, but not unprecedented.  What's weird is that in this latest update, they took some features out.  Why?  But it sounds like they plan on putting them back in.  It's just a strange way of doing things.  I've never really understood the whole idea of removing features as a software gets updated.  Just leave them in.  If anything, hide them in the preferences or something.  Taking features out is never a good idea for programs.

steveorg:
I just started looking at Insightly, which is a free Google App add-on. It provides so much more than collaboration. Actually, collaboration seems to be just a built-in side feature. I've only been playing with it for a couple of hours, but so far I'm impressed. Here's what the Google App listing says:

Insightly: Free simple CRM and Project Management
by Insightly

Insightly is the most popular CRM and Project Management package for Google Apps. Track leads, proposals, opportunities, projects and manage files, all through an easy to use interface.

Track leads, proposals, opportunities and projects
Full history of customer interaction
Central shared contact list

Simplify business management with Insightly for Google Apps.

FEATURES:

* Access Insightly via Google Universal Navigation
* Track leads, proposals, opportunities and projects
* Assign tasks, attach files, tag important items, and get email reminders.
* Full history of customer interaction
* File sharing with full versioning control
* A central shared contact list
* Real-time search of everything
* Email Drop box integration
* Safe, secure, and private

BENEFITS:

* Track your projects, customers, and tasks without buying expensive software
* Utilize existing Google Apps accounts
* Keep a comprehensive history of all your customer interactions inc. emails, phone calls, and meetings.
* Track projects with milestones and tasks
* Very easy and intuitive to use. No training required!
* Searching as you type across all data within Insightly
* One address book for everyone within your company, online and shared.
* Integrate with your existing GMail email
* Single sign-on through your Google Apps account
* Great file sharing capability
* Includes SSL security essential to business-http://www.google.com/enterprise/marketplace/viewListing?productListingId=3956+15797827514936543044&utm_source=adminnewsletter-0615
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version