ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Firefox 4.0 Beta 1

(1/4) > >>

Curt:
Firefox Project does not yet show a link to Firefox 4, but Major Geeks does:

Download Mozilla Firefox 4.0 Beta 1 from the Author's Site

Author: The Mozilla Organization
Date: 2010-07-07
Size: 8.96 MB
License: Freeware
Requires: Win All
Downloaded: 131992 Times

--- End quote ---

hpearce:
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-beta.html

Josh:
I love the paradigm being employed here with the new "Tabs on top" display option.

daddydave:
I installed it despite my instincts to wait for beta 2. And oh if this is the direction Firefox is going, it may finally kick me to Chrome. And oh my, it crawls, it hangs, it uses 100,000K of memory as soon as you open it (although the old one uses about 80,000K, but it was fast so I didn't care. I've got 8GB of memory, so really I don't care, just make it fast) It is slightly but perceptibly slower switching from tab to tab. When I install an add-on, it doesn't switch to the add-ons tab or prompt me to restart. All of which could be simply add-on incompatibilities, but I haven't tested yet.

The only positive sign is that the add-ons page seems to be a work in progress, that seems to be causing some problems. I can only see 5 add-ons at a time, though, maybe it's my settings.

Also as someone noted on Lifehacker, they got "tabs on top" wrong and it doesn't give as much web page real estate as Chrome gives you.

BUT.. this is a beta after all, but I remember the 3.5 betas being really good.

Tuxman:
Does anyone here have a clue how to register a service in Fx4? They somehow broke API compliance, so ...

But I actually like the new Firefox. It only lacks a button to remove that ugly app button, so I had to do it manually.
("Tabs on top" was the first thing I disabled.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version