ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How to send fax through high-speed internet connection?

<< < (4/5) > >>

TomD101:
Hi,

I am writing from Berlin, Germany, so things may be different here.
My ISP gives the AVM FritzBox as cable modem to its customers. (www.avm.de - and they offer an English website also).
This box is a real wonder concerning its possibilities. They also offer a tool for download, that enables the box to send and receive fax. It works with MS Office and almost any Windows.
It is not really easy to use, there is quite some try and error involved to get used to it, but then ... it works.
Maybe you just want to check out the tool itself. I do not think it is "chained" to the FritzBox cable modem.

Thomas

tomos:
They also offer a tool for download, that enables the box to send and receive fax.
-TomD101 (July 15, 2010, 03:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

thanks for that tip Thomas
the info about faxing seems to be only in German
Wie kann ich mit der FRITZ!Box Faxe empfangen, ohne ein Faxgerät anzuschließen?
Wie kann ich ohne Faxgerät Faxe empfangen und per E-Mail weiterleiten?
Wie installiere und konfiguriere ich FRITZ!fax für FRITZ!Box, um damit am Computer Faxe zu versenden?

here's the download page - BUT I just tried to install and it wont install...
---------------------------
FRITZ!fax für FRITZ!Box
Es wurde weder eine FRITZ!Box Fon noch ein AVM ISDN-Controller gefunden!
Die Installation wird abgebrochen.
OK   
= cant find FRITZ!Box or AVM ISDN-Controller.
So I guess you need the FritzBox router

superboyac:
You can email to a fax machine using the internet infrastructure called tpc.int

Just go to http://www.tpc.int and all will be explained.

There are volunteer fax servers set up all over the world (a list of area codes is provided) and you just email your content to a specially formatted email address (not too tricky) or use the provided client and your email will be forwarded to the fax server via internet and faxed locally.

This project has been online and functioning for years.

Ain't the net magic??   ;D

-cyberjack88 (July 14, 2010, 10:11 PM)
--- End quote ---
Doh!  Now you tell me!  i went to Kinko's yesterday to fax 6 pages...it cost $9!!  What a rip.

Stoic Joker:
If you have a cell phone with [free] long-distance, you can do what I do when I need to send a fax.  I simply forward my cell phone to the fax number and then fax to my cell phone number (which is a local call but forwarded on to the fax number).  It works a treat for me on the rare occasion I need to send a fax since I don't keep long-distance on my house's landline.
-skwire (July 08, 2010, 02:22 AM)
--- End quote ---
Sorry, I should have clarified that I do this from a printer/scanner/fax combo (Canon Pixma MP830).  Though, I can't see why it couldn't be done from a modem in a computer along with some fax software.
-skwire (July 08, 2010, 08:35 AM)
--- End quote ---
Ah.  I took the OP though to mean a way to convert files to fax without using the modem or connecting telephone lines.  That was what I thought you were doing and I was curious how that was accomplished.  Thanks for the clarification.
-steeladept (July 08, 2010, 08:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thre may be a middle ground here. Many cellphones have to option to connect them to a computer via USB. Part of the driver that is installed (assuming you can find it) is for using the cellphone as a modem ... Add the Windows fax service and you're there.

Just a thought.

superboyac:
Thre may be a middle ground here. Many cellphones have to option to connect them to a computer via USB. Part of the driver that is installed (assuming you can find it) is for using the cellphone as a modem ... Add the Windows fax service and you're there.

Just a thought.
-Stoic Joker (July 15, 2010, 11:53 AM)
--- End quote ---
Another interesting one!  Where were you guys two days ago??

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version