topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 4:12 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Which came first? The Chicken or the Egg? Scientists say: The Chicken  (Read 6529 times)

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
alg_resize_chicken-or-the-egg.jpg

It's a question that has plagued man for centuries: Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Well, scientists in England say they've found the answer: The chicken!

Researchers wrote in a recently published report that it all comes down to one protein - ovocledidin-17 - which helps in the formation of the egg's hard shell.

This essential ingredient in the formation of the egg can only be produced inside a chicken, scientists from universities in Sheffield and Warwick concluded.

"It had long been suspected that the egg came first, but now we have the scientific proof that shows that in fact the chicken came first," said Dr. Colin Freeman, of Sheffield University's Department of Engineering Materials, London’s Daily Mail reports.

While scientists feel this discovery answers an age-old question, it could have practical uses, as well.

Source

parkint

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • It's bad luck to be superstitious
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Very interesting.
This brings to mind another old idea.  I propose that ADVERTISING is the world's oldest profession.  If you think about it, even the first prostitute had to advertise!

"Hey I want one of those cool shirts that has a Mac Dock printed across it!"

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Duh! Of course the chicken came first.

Unless you're talking about an egg for a creature other than a chicken.

Krishean

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • I like pie
    • View Profile
    • Draconis Labs
    • Donate to Member
i have to disagree with their findings, perhaps there once existed an animal that we would not call a chicken, that could also produce this protien, which laid an egg which hatched into an offspring which had certain mutations that would qualify it as a chicken? thats just my opinion.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

- Arthur C. Clarke

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i have to disagree with their findings, perhaps there once existed an animal that we would not call a chicken, that could also produce this protien, which laid an egg which hatched into an offspring which had certain mutations that would qualify it as a chicken? thats just my opinion.

I suppose that could be. Unless this amazing scientific breakthrough (;)) disproves the theory of evolution as well. :-\

Lovinmalamutes

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I would agree the chicken came first, as I believe that God created the world and all life in it. :D

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I would suggest it depends on if you define a chicken egg as something which is laid by a chicken, or as something from which a chicken hatches. Once you settle on the definition then the answer to the question is simple.

Anyway, here's a rather critical follow-up; Chickens, eggs, this is no way to report on science.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Anyway, here's a rather critical follow-up; Chickens, eggs, this is no way to report on science.

the comments are worth a read as well (serious and...
...entertaining)
Posted by: sasqwatch

Besides, everybody knows the rooster came first.

Tom

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Apparently the scientists were reading Explosm.net:

Chicken & Egg.jpg

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
That's like asking if Eve's first son came before her! Of course the 'mother' comes first  ;)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Any chef will tell you the egg came first.

The chicken is merely the mechanism an egg employs to create another egg.  ;)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

the comments are worth a read as well (serious and...

Thank you for that link. It's sad how often science gets misreported or distorted just to generate  a catchy 'lead' line or sound bite.

:Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 08:36 AM by 40hz »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
That's like asking if Eve's first son came before her! Of course the 'mother' comes first  ;)

Not exactly. It's more like the question of whether or not Adam & Eve had bellybuttons.

If you believe in creationism, then (I think) the general consensus is that God created the chicken first, which later laid eggs (just as in your example of Eve being created before she gave birth to any of her children).

But then again, you have to remember that in science it's extremely unpopular (and often career destroying) to believe in creationism.

So you have to look at the question of the chicken or the egg from the perspective of an evolutionist to appreciate the mystery behind it. And maybe we've been asking ourselves that same stupid question so long that we've forgotten why it was asked in the first place. Maybe that's the hundred bazillion dollar question, the answer to which determines which is more accurate: creationism or evolution. :-\ Because otherwise, who really cares?

EDIT: Just read through some of the comments at the bottom of the follow-up article and see that (naturally) I'm not the first to come up with the possibility that the question is "Creationism vs. Evolution" in nature.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 02:11 PM by Deozaan »