ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Mini-Review of JungleDisk and ZumoDrive

<< < (2/3) > >>

wraith808:
Can someone delete this?  I meant to modify my original post, and instead posted  :-[

skwire:
In case anybody has need, I wrote a JungleDisk cost calculator for Josh a while back:

https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=20971.msg188038#msg188038

tomos:
thanks again for the 'continuing story' wraith  :up:

I always thought using Jungle Disk with Amazon S3 would have the advantage of being able to read the files via other apps - e.g. Cloudberry, or possibly amazon's new online 'Console'. But this is not the case - it's a garbled bunch of folders (here at any rate - disclaimer: I was using an older version of Jungle Disk till lately)

Have only recently started using the new version 5 of Super Flexible File Synchronizer (SFFS) to backup directly to Amazon S3.
I can check the results using the above mentioned means

I previously mentioned SFFS/S3 here, and Amazon's Console here (also Cloudberry mentioned in both those threads)

TheQwerty:
JungleDisk is cheap, reliable, and just works, with a lot of options for use to boot.  However, if you need to share your data, know that there are no options for that.-wraith808 (July 04, 2010, 05:17 PM)
--- End quote ---
This is correct that within JungleDisk there is no way to share files, but if you use the 'Compatible' disk format (at least for Amazon S3) you can use another tool like S3 Fox or Cloudberry Explorer to modify the ACL permissions so that the files are accessible by anyone or even behind passworded accounts.

So it is possible but Dropbox and others beat the pants off it for ease of sharing use.

I always thought using Jungle Disk with Amazon S3 would have the advantage of being able to read the files via other apps - e.g. Cloudberry, or possibly amazon's new online 'Console'. But this is not the case - it's a garbled bunch of folders-tomos (July 06, 2010, 08:31 AM)
--- End quote ---
As I mentioned above if you use the old 'Compatible' disk format they should be accessible in other apps just fine, but you lose some of the Jungle Disk features.

More details on the differences here.

I really like Jungle Disk, but recently I've been considering making the move to Dropbox for most of my daily cloud needs and using Jungle Disk solely for the less often used backups.  The reason is simply that progress of Jungle Disk seems to have really slowed.

Since RackSpace acquired Jungle Disk they seem to have been primarily concentrating on getting their cloud service into a state closer to Amazon S3.  They also tend to be focusing on offering product(s) for reselling space/service instead of directly targetting the end-user.  They have an iOS app but I haven't seen any mention of Android.  I know they are making improvements but it's not necessarily on things I'd like to see (and I'm partly to blame for not actively requesting and pursuing changes, but I'm not doing so in Dropbox either).

Meanwhile, Dropbox already has iOS and Android apps allowing me to easily sync my KeePass database with my Nexus One.  They have the browser extensions so it should remain easy to access in Chrome OS and other netbook-geared OSes that make it more difficult to just install normal applications.  They recently announced developer APIs which I think could lead to some interesting features in the future.

My only reservations with Dropbox are:
1) The space seems costly, and I'm not a fan of refferrals so I haven't maxed out the free space.
2) I'd like a way to NOT sync some data to the local host(s); so I could download it from the cloud when needed but not necessarily waste local space on the item(s).

*shrugs* That's my (rather long) two-cents.

JavaJones:
Great to see some more reviews in this area! Perhaps you can review Spider Oak and Humyo next? I have a client using Humyo and I have to say so far I think it's a very competitive service.

As far as Jungledisk being "dirt cheap", I'm not sure I agree. It really depends on how much data you have I guess. For smaller amounts of data, where one of the "big chunk" packages of something like Humyo are overkill (say you need 15GB and their minimum buy-in is 100GB), then yes with JungleDisk you might be saving money (15 cents/gb and assume transfer and access costs are negligible, you get $2.25/mo or $27/yr, but don't forget dashboard/web access costs...). Humyo is $70/yr for 100GB. So maybe you're able to cut that in half. But the advantage rapidly disappears as you reach around 30GB (if you include dashboard access and whatnot). Humyo gives you 100GB for just under $6/mo, and considering all the features are included that seems highly reasonable to me. Other services (e.g. Spideroak) are similar, and at data sizes over 30GB similarly beat Jungledisk.

Anyway, I hope to see more such comparisons as these kinds of services are increasingly interesting to me.

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version