ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

App Culture vs. Free Culture

<< < (2/8) > >>

Josh:
Mouser's fears may have come to reality

JavaJones:
I don't think an "app store" *has* to be restrictive though. The model I'd like to see more followed for Windows is that of the Linux "repository". You know, fairly open, different repositories ("stores") for different needs, and the ability to add your own stores just by specifying a custom URL. I doubt MS will do it this way, but I'm just saying the concept of a "store", or at the least a central reference/repository for software, is not inherently bad nor restrictive.

- Oshyan

zridling:
Don't forget that despite not coding one line in your app, Apple willingly takes 30% of your profit off the top. That's effing greedy, folks!

zridling:
Just found this very relevant tidbit:

Patent Lawyer Insists Open Source Stifles Innovation
http://techdirt.com/articles/20100706/03220710079.shtml

TheQwerty:
Don't forget that despite not coding one line in your app, Apple willingly takes 30% of your profit off the top. That's effing greedy, folks!-zridling (July 06, 2010, 04:59 PM)
--- End quote ---
As does Google if you sale in their market, and I believe Microsoft said their mobile store would be the same or similar.  Is 30% that bad when you consider it means you don't have to set up a store, actually handle credit card fees, or pay for the bandwidth? I'm seriously asking as it doesn't seem that bad to me.

I dislike Apple's policies and the corporate attitude they project, but I'm not sure I see this 70-30 split being so outrageous.

Now the fact that a developer interested in selling an iOS app to non-jailbreaking users has no other choice but to accept Apple's 70-30 deal is absolutely maddening.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version