ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Kindle and iPad Books Take Longer to Read than Print [STUDY]

<< < (3/4) > >>

Renegade:
This thread (and similar ones) is just incredibly frustrating...

It just fuels my gear-lust. I really want to get an ebook reader, but... Sigh... I already spend an absolute fortune on tech already. So this is one of those things that I WANT, but don't really really need.

Still, gear-lust as it is... I find myself justifying buying one with all kinds of rationalizations. The most powerful rationalization at the moment is to buy an iPad, use it as an ebook reader, and justify the expense by developing software for it and recouping the costs there. But I know that I'm not going to be developing anything for it for a few months anyways as I've still got iPhone, Mac, and Windows development that I need to get done in addition to a few web applications that I need to get up and running.

And I really must buy a new phone... Which is a higher priority at the moment, and is going to be a significant expense yet again. (Drooling over the HTC Desire HD at the moment, but it looks like Australia is a bit behind the times and it's not quite yet available.)

Sigh... I guess I'll be drooling over ebook readers for a while to come... :( So please do continue to post experiences and reviews~! :D

mrainey:
I find reading on a Kindle to be very pleasant.  You can set the font size, line spacing and rotation to suit.  Page turning speed isn't an issue for me.  I like being able to download the first chapter of most any book for free.

Renegade:
And rotation? That's very cool. I've not actually looked at a Kindle before, so I didn't know that.

nosh:
One (often overlooked) advantage ebook readers have over the ipad is the comfort factor. The ipad is heavy, and its edges are not exactly rounded, they dig into you if you're reading lying down with the ipad resting on you. The situation is salvaged somewhat with a good case but I'm sure something like a Kindle is way more comfortable.

I have never had eye-strain reading on portable devices. And I've read complete novels on a Nokia 6600, with a screen size a shade over 2". With larger font sizes and adjustable brightness eye-strain is even less of an issue on a bigger device.

The features available on devices must play some part in reducing reading speed. The ability to tap on a word and get its meaning is one of the biggest advantages a device has over a dead tree. But it does tend to slow down someone like me with a vocabulary of under 37 words. :P

B&N's Nook Color is worth checking out.

edbro:
B&N's Nook Color is worth checking out.
-nosh (October 30, 2010, 01:15 AM)
--- End quote ---
The color Nook is LCD. Basically, it is a very small tablet. E-ink is much better for reading books. No reflective glare, no washout in outdoor light, small power needs, etc.

I have owned a Sony Reader for years now. I love it. I have the latest model on backorder right now and I'm anxious to get it.

I don't know about reading slower than in print but I certainly don't see it. I do know that I read a whole lot more than I did before I got the Reader. It is great because you can take them anywhere. Also, when I travel, I can take hundreds of books with me now instead of one.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version