ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Announce Your Software/Service/Product

Buzz Folders - Open/Save Dialog Box Extender ( + Free Version )

<< < (4/7) > >>

johnk:
I have yet to try your program, DanJak, so forgive me for diving in here so quickly, but I have a strong feeling that keyboard navigation would be something that the kind of person who buys dialog box extenders would expect as a minimum. It's a small niche market, and keyboard fanatics form a significant part of that market (dialog box extenders and avoiding using the mouse are both all about efficiency).

I use a combination of File-Ex and the AHK script Folder Menu. Folder Menu overcomes some of the clunkiness of File-Ex, and one of its essential features is that it allows me to assign keyboard shortcuts to whatever folders I choose. The two work well in combination.

DanJak:
Dive right in johnk!  :)

I really appreciate getting this kind of feedback. Keyboard navigation is on the cards I promise. And as mentioned assignable hotkeys for folders may well be added.

I don't agree that the market for a dialog box extender is small or in any way a niche. Perhaps a niche market in terms of "people who use computers regularly" but that's a very large and varied market. I started Buzz Folders as a way to help me make music more efficiently when I was opening and saving samples in different programs. The guys who were using early versions of Buzz Folders were mostly computer musicians and they found it incredibly useful. So there are a lot of people in all kinds of areas who will benefit from using some kind of dialog box extender.

You make a great point when you say "dialog box extenders and avoiding using the mouse are both all about efficiency" and that's really what I'm aiming for with the program. I want to make it as quick and easy to get open and save files as possible. So perhaps I underestimated the need for keyboard navigation!

If there is a strong demand for it I'll make it a high priority and integrate it soon. I do like the idea of assignable hotkeys.

rjbull:
Listary looks very interesting. A great find. I'm going to give it a try.-DanJak (July 01, 2010, 05:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

I found it on discount at Bits du Jour.  This is a hint.  :)  I also bought a number of software licenses via DonationCoder discounts.  This is another hint.  :)

The Free Version doesn't require installation so could be used as a portable application.
--- End quote ---

It would be nice if all versions could be portable; I realise this may not be possible.

The Professional Elite Version of Buzz Folders remembers your recent files.
--- End quote ---

I'm English, and unemployed.  The Professional Elite Version of Buzz Folders costs £36, which is too much, the more so if the licence is per-computer, which is how I read your EULA.  If it were portable and the license allowed home computer plus portable, that would be nice.

However, it looks like I didn't explain what I meant well enough.  The screenshot below is a common-or-garden File Open dialog in Adobe Reader.  You'll notice that the cursor is on a file.  What I wanted was a dialog box extender that would re-open the File Open dialog with the cursor on the same file, or, optionally, on the next file down (or up) in the list.  I admit I got fixated on this because of a particular task I used to have to do at work.  Now I'm work-free the task has gone away, but the idea is still one I'd like considered (or definitively shot down as completely silly).

list of files displayed below the folder buttons and the last file you opened will be at the top of the list. Opening that file is as simple as pressing the "GO" button.
--- End quote ---

Perhaps you could implement what I mean by allowing Up Arrow or Down Arrow to scroll through the list from that file, though it might mean re-reading the file list.

As others have mentioned above, keyboard operation is essential, so I'm pleased to note your commitment to it.

DanJak:
Thanks for the subtle hints!  :)

Your idea of having the cursor automatically selecting the last opened file is an interesting one. It's actually something I tinkered with in early development stages but then moved on to what I feel are more effective ways to get to the files you want. Of course integrating new methods and new options is always good so the possibility for inclusion is there.

You can of course already use the arrow keys to scroll through the Buzz Folders file list which shows all your recent files.

+ I'm actually working on keyboard navigation and hotkey functions right now and making excellent progress.  :)

rjbull:
Thanks for the subtle hints!  :)-DanJak (July 04, 2010, 07:45 PM)
--- End quote ---
:)

Your idea of having the cursor automatically selecting the last opened file is an interesting one. It's actually something I tinkered with in early development stages but then moved on to what I feel are more effective ways to get to the files you want.
--- End quote ---

What I'm really suggesting is a quick way of getting the next file from a list.

I'm actually working on keyboard navigation and hotkey functions right now and making excellent progress.  :)
--- End quote ---

Glad to hear it!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version