ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Obama Can Shut Down Internet For 4 Months Under New Emergency Powers

<< < (5/11) > >>

40hz:
^ But only as long as the backbone is allowed to remain up.

AFAIK, the killswitch is primarily designed to force a shutdown of all the backbone routers.

Take the backbone down and it's back to modems and running Fidonet.  :-*  :P

Hmmm...it's always smart to have a contingency plan.

Maybe resurrecting Fidonet isn't too crazy an idea when you think about it. ;)

------------

note: the old Bell Telephone System had network emergency shutdown/lockout capabilities in place since shortly after the start of the Cold War. It was put there so the President could prevent an enemy from using the phone system in the event of a land invasion. This capability has been a part of the US phone system ever since.

-----------/

@app103
Same situation where I live.

My GF works for the state. People are constantly threatening to sue her agency. Sometimes they even do.

When her agency, or an employee of the agency, gets either a summons, or a subpoena to appear in court, the document is immediately forwarded to the State AG's office.  An attorney from the AG's office will then show up in court the very next day and enter a motion to quash.

In 99.9999% of the cases, the request is granted.

Carol Haynes:
It would be interesting to know what effect a US kill switch would have on other countries.

OK obviously it won't be possible to connect through US servers or to US websites/email but, aside from those limitations, would the rest of the world be business as usual using alternative routes?

If yes it could have an interesting economic impact on the US!

40hz:
^Well there's one sure way to find out. All they'd have to do is temporarily block all the US controlled IP address blocks on their main routers and DNS servers to see what happens.

But I'm guessing it would have some major economic 'ramifications' for the rest of the world too.

Might be an interesting experiment.  8)

Might also be an absolute disaster.  ;D

zridling:
And yet Finland becomes the first country to make broadband a legal right for every citizen.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/10461048.stm

Go Fins!

Deozaan:
And yet Finland becomes the first country to make broadband a legal right for every citizen.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/10461048.stm-zridling (June 30, 2010, 09:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't think that's a good idea either. IMO, internet access isn't a right to be guaranteed by the government to every citizen just for being alive. All that does is cause the government to tax everyone (whether you use internet or not) so they can provide the service. That's not even going into details of who "owns" the service (government or private sector) and what that might implicate.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version