ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > Site/Forum Features

Should we add tags to forum?

<< < (3/4) > >>

mouser:
superboyac, we should remember that when we appreciate the search function on the donationcoder forum, it's not me that deserves thanks, it's our beloved member Wordzilla, who spent a lot of time rewriting the default smf search functions to give them dinosaur power, creating what he called the "zillarank" system:

* https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=9434.0

superboyac:
superboyac, we should remember that when we appreciate the search function on the donationcoder forum, it's not me that deserves thanks, it's our beloved member Wordzilla, who spent a lot of time rewriting the default smf search functions to give them dinosaur power, creating what he called the "zillarank" system:

* https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=9434.0-mouser (June 26, 2010, 10:50 PM)
--- End quote ---
Wow, wordzilla,  i didn't even know about that thread.  Amazing.  The people here are just the best, I'm not just saying that.
but mouser, you still deserve credit for masterminding the culture behind this website.  it is unique.  it's the only website that I visit daily, even with my limited time.

Sometimes I'm at work, and I wish i could hire some of the people here to help me...

daddydave:
Well, I thought of a possible use case for tags in a forum. Be patient, I have to set it up.

Say there's a forum that rules with an iron hand. Everytime someone asks a topic that has already been asked, they are tersely told to search the forums. Problem is, the person posts the topic because they already did a search of the forums, and all they could find were these terse responses saying to search the forums.

Suppose further the search engine can be tweaked so that if a thread is tagged with a certain tag, it gets the bottom priority in search results or is ignored completely. These "search the forum" threads could be tagged by the admin for that purpose, so that the n00b could actually find what he is looking for by searching the forums.

This case doesn't seem to apply to the people-friendly and search-friendly DonationCoder forum, but I wanted to give an idea of when it might be useful.

Innuendo:
Suppose further the search engine can be tweaked so that if a thread is tagged with a certain tag, it gets the bottom priority in search results or is ignored completely. These "search the forum" threads could be tagged by the admin for that purpose, so that the n00b could actually find what he is looking for by searching the forums.-daddydave (June 27, 2010, 07:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

Reminds me of what they do over on the DD-WRT forum. The most important thread that has all the must-read materials for newbies is named The Peacock Thread. That way all someone has to do is search for peacock & the desired thread comes right up.

erikts:
I would love to use tag to bookmark specific / interesting post (not thread, since we have Thread Mark function to bookmark thread) but according to screenshot, only poster can set tag for his/her post.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version