ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > Site/Forum Features

Should we add tags to forum?

(1/4) > >>

mouser:
There is a nice tagging system for the simple machines forum (smf) system we use to power the donationcoder forum, which just got an update.
I wonder if it's time for us to install it here.

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=579

As you can see from the screenshots, it allows people to assign tags to topics; topics can then be browsed by tag, or by clicking on a tag cloud.

The benefit is that is provides another view into forum contents.
The downside is that it requires some maintenance and effort to tag stuff, and it might create a little more "noise" and complication when posting.

superboyac:
My opinion is the search function here is so good (best I've ever seen) that tags won't add that much more to it.  I've never been a big fan of tags anyway.  They are useful in theory, but it depends so much on the users.  You can't enforce any systematic rules on users, so it can quickly just end up doing nothing of any importance.  For example, let's say someone is looking for topics about Excel, and there are 10 posts about excel, but 2 of them didn't bother tagging "excel", but that's the one you are looking for.

Anyway, those are my thoughts.  Nothing tops the DC search function.

daddydave:
I agree with superboyac, it would only seem to be useful for cases where the tags are not actually in the text of the posts, which to my mind, is almost never. I also have been in forums that allowed tags and it seemed like too much hassle to use the feature.

Innuendo:
While superboyac and daddydave make excellent points the question in my mind is while the benefit of adding tags may at times be minimal what is the downide to adding them? I can't seem to think of any.

Minimal gains in searching are still gains.

superboyac:
While superboyac and daddydave make excellent points the question in my mind is while the benefit of adding tags may at times be minimal what is the downide to adding them? I can't seem to think of any.

Minimal gains in searching are still gains.
-Innuendo (June 26, 2010, 06:18 PM)
--- End quote ---
true.  i don't think adding them hurts one way or the other.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version