ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Linux Learning - what to do after basic install?

<< < (2/3) > >>

40hz:
There's a couple of commands you should learn inside out if you're going to be working with Linux servers:

chmod - change system mode of files. Anytime you're mucking with permissions you'll be using this. Also make it a point to really understand how file permissions work in Linux. And also how they relate to users and groups. This is something you'll need to have down cold since handling file access permissions is a major sysadmin responsibility.   

rsync - the quick and dirty sync/backup tool

tar - the now quaintly named "tape archive" utility. The Unix answer to WinZip. You'll be using tar constantly. Learn what all those option switches are for.  

ssh - secure shell. Use it when you're administrating remotely

cron - THE job scheduler. (Also known as "the relationship saver" utility.) Essential to know If you don't want to spend a lot of time hanging around after work in order to get your job done. Want a personal life? Better learn how to use cron ASAP.

apt - powerful package management tool. apt can do a whole lot more than just install packages. Learn all its options. They're very powerful and useful.

(Yoiks! More hardware just arrived. Gotta run.  :Thmbsup: )

Edvard:
If you reference one book, do this one:
Rute User's Tutorial and Exposition
It's age is starting to show, but most of the basic info is timeless anyway.
Besides, you can't beat the price... :Thmbsup:

Hint: There's a link to a nice PDF of the whole banana in the upper left of that page.

steeladept:
Unfortunately that link doesn't go to the PDF.  Or at least it isn't obvious where it is on the Hosting site.  The good news is, for the moment at least, you can download a HTML version already nicely packaged in BZ2 format.

40hz:
While we're on the subject of good books, get a copy of this ASAP:

Linux Administration Handbook (2nd Edition) (also known as "Big Pink.")  :-*

Score your own copy of this. Your friends will soon be envious - and your enemies terrified!

1040 pages of rock-solid hardcore information and sundry goodness. Virtually anything you will ever need to know about Linux systems administration can be found within this hefty paperback. Very readable too!

If you only buy or plan on reading one book, make it this one.

Tux sez:

Edvard:
Unfortunately that link doesn't go to the PDF.  Or at least it isn't obvious where it is on the Hosting site.  The good news is, for the moment at least, you can download a HTML version already nicely packaged in BZ2 format.
-steeladept (June 30, 2010, 11:56 AM)
--- End quote ---
Here go!
http://www.icon.co.za/~psheer/rute.pdf.bz2

Also, I had the wrong link in my original post. Fixed.

@40Hz:
Excellent book. I had my hands on one once and wished it was mine and not someone else's.
P.S. The Unix and Linux handbooks have now been compiled into one book, and the fourth edition is out...
http://www.amazon.com/UNIX-Linux-System-Administration-Handbook/dp/0131480057/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1277949758&sr=1-2

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version