ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Synergy Plus

(1/3) > >>

cmpm:
Anyone tried any of these?

http://code.google.com/p/synergy-plus/downloads/list

The claim is better with W7 and Vista, but the original works fine still.

http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/

Seems google is messing around with it.
But they are beta and rc's, and say unstable for all it looks like.

Wondering if anyone has any experience with them.

Or is there something better and still free to use?

Cloq:
Very cool! Glad to see someone picking up the synergy project even if it is an offshoot.

I will update you on how it works. I have a few guinea pigs at work that are willing to try the rc's out.

Cloq:
Update:

W7 32bit - synergy-plus-1.4.1-Windows-x86.exe

Synergy+ has improved a bit over the old(er) version but it still has a ways to go after you install it. It needs a quick setup wizard after installation guiding the user in asking if the current install is the master or client and to do the need be accordingly.

I spent a good 15 minutes (after watching my co-worker trying to figure it out to no avail) trying to figure out why the client wasn't seeing the master. Ended up having to tell the program to copy the log to the clipboard and then paste it to notepad.

Once I saw the log (full of tried to connect to master.. connected but refused because not in master map). Gee whiz.. very helpful.

Now on the master (computer) you can't do diddly once the server service is running. Had to stop the service, go into the settings, figure out the button that brought up the "Map". Basically it's a grid with the master computer in the center.

Then had to drag the icon of a computer to an empty grid area (figured that part out by accident, the dragging computer).  

The newly dragged computer is your "client" machine that you have to configure by double clicking it. Remember to name it differently from the alias name or the program freaks out and refuses to start the "master" service.

Once you get over the confusing setup procedure, it's quite good, smooth mouse panning from one screen to another. You can copy and paste text, but not files. There is a whole discussion about if they will implement that feature or not.

Bottom line:

Post install setup configuration is confusing (not nearly as bad as the original synergy), but once you master that part, everything else is a breeze.

Deozaan:
The claim is better with W7 and Vista, but the original works fine still.-cmpm (June 24, 2010, 08:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

The original still works fine in Windows 7? Do you know if it works well in 64-bit Windows 7?

Cloq:
Synergy+ seems to work well in XP sp3 and Vista64/W7 32/64. UAC may need to be turned off. We have it turned off by default at work.

As for the original Synergy, I have only personally tested it on XP SP2. Frustrating setup but works well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version