ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

I am so very very sick of copyright issues.

<< < (3/4) > >>

IainB:
I revived this old thread because the subject describes pretty much how I felt on reading this article - the subject of which was news to me:
(Copied below sans embedded hyperlinks/images.)
How copyright makes my home stereo sounds worse
by Stephan Kinsella on March 6, 2013

The other day I had my A/V guys over to make some adjustments to one of my systems. While there were there I asked them if they could take a look at a problem I’d been having for a while with my family room media system. I have an Anthem two-zone receiver. The first zone drives the TV and the speakers in the family room. Zone 2 drives speakers around the house through a speaker selector box. I often play music via the Apple TV on both zones 1 and 2, all around the house, say, on a Saturday. But I notice an odd echo effect between the sound coming from zone 1 speakers and that coming from zone 2: there is a slight delay, giving it a disconcerting feeling, if you are standing sort of between rooms.

I asked the media guys if there was maybe a polarity problem or an adjustable delay. They said that’s not it. Instead, all the big manufacturers of receivers have gimped their own systems due to copyright enforcement pressure from content companies: zone 1 is digital, but zone 2 has to be analog. What this means is that there is a delay in zone 1 because the DSP takes some time. So the sound coming out of zone 2 is slightly ahead of that coming out of zone 1. I said can I just buy a receiver with two digital zones? Nope, they said–the copyright enforcers don’t want you to be able to just duplicate that signal. So even if I am playing my own CD’s or streaming radio or spotify perfectly legally, I can’t have a device that digitally “splits” the signal to permit me to play it simultaneously on two zones. Instead, I can tap into the inferior analog signal and play it on zone 2, but then there are timing delays between the zones.

The media guys told me there are workarounds but they are complicated and not even guaranteed to work. I could buy some kind of add-on digital delay for zone 2, but the problem is you might never make it match up exactly, and further, the delay from zone 1 DSP varies by the type of music; it’s not necessarily a fixed delay, so there is no easy way to guarantee adding a delay to zone 2 will match it up to zone 1. I suppose I could buy two separate one-zone receivers, have all kinda signal-splitters at the output of my source devices like the Apple TV, but that’s kinda stupid.

Another example of how paying, law-abiding users are harmed by the copyright fascists.

--- End quote ---

Renegade:
Another example of how paying, law-abiding users are harmed by the copyright fascists.
--- End quote ---

:Thmbsup:

Yuppers.

One fellow who always has something interesting to say on the topic:

http://falkvinge.net/

Everyone pretty much knows about the EFF, Tech Dirt and Torrent Freak, but Falkvinge is another there with some very insightful things to say.

40hz:
I think a lot of this IP protectionism is indicative of a loss of confidence on the part of many. The only people that try (in my experience) to wring every last nickel out of everything they come up with are the people who fear their creativity is a finite resource. That they only have so much originality in them - and once it's gone, it's gone.

I've had more of my own original work (ideas, words, music) than I can shake a stick at "appropriated" by others over the years. Does it ever bother me? Maybe a little every so often. (Mostly when I'm feeling very tired or am unusually short on sleep.) But so what? I'm a clever chap who doesn't mind working. Nor do I ever plan on retiring. I'll just write new stuff. I'm never one to be at a loss for ideas - or come up short on creativity.

So pilfer away AFAIC. There's plenty more where that came from. 8)

Target:
I think a lot of this IP protectionism is indicative of a loss of confidence on the part of many. The only people that try (in my experience) to wring every last nickel out of everything they come up with are the people who fear their creativity is a finite resource. That they only have so much originality in them - and once it's gone, it's gone.
-40hz (March 13, 2013, 09:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

not quite, seems most of it is generated by people that have no creativity (accounting doesn't count) and are banking (literally) on wringing everything they can out of someone elses efforts, ie most any of the media vendors, publishers, the families and/or estates of long dead creators...

40hz:
the families and/or estates of long dead creators...
-Target (March 13, 2013, 10:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well...at least in their case, creativity is a finite resource since the dead certainly don't seem to be producing as much these days - unless you buy into the "channeling" thing. ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version